What Homecoming Means to Me

Well, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it’s that time of year again: HOMECOMING! This time of year is full of excitement and camaraderie throughout the entire school. I know last time I blogged, I kinda complained about our school not being very supportive of the football team and not having much school spirit in general, but I gotta hand it to you, the school spirit lately has been, how should I say this…”Pretty Solid.

It’s been solid seeing everybody with school spirit this week, dressing up in pajamas, all black, jocks & nerds and so on and so forth. But all you underclassmen can’t touch us seniors with school spirit. Sorry, you’re not even close. Anyways, for us seniors this is our fourth and final homecoming. It’s kinda sad;  I’m not gonna lie. And what gets me even more depressed is this Saturday–for us senior football players–is our final game in a Niles West uniform. It’s the last time I’m ever going to take a snap from my boy TACO, the last time the Darkside, Georgy, and Powell are ever gonna block for me, the last time I’ll give the ball to Galimore, and the last time I’m ever going to chuck the pill to Ryno, Cabron, and Amiaaaaa.

It’s all so sad. I’ve been through so much with these guys. They were the first friends I ever had walking into this building, and they’re going to be my guys for the rest of my life. I remember freshman year after our red & white scrimmage, a coach told us to enjoy these next four years because they are going to go by faster than we think. And they did. After Saturday, it’s over. I’m never gonna strap it up for our Wolves ever again. It sucks knowing that. But I can proudly say that I gave it everything I had for the four years I’ve been here. I’ve been through it all: the great wins, the disappointing losses, the killer conditioning and off-season workouts, even Coach Costante’s jokes about my “wide load.” Everything.

This program has meant everything to me, and it will always mean everything to me. But hold on a second, we still have one more game to play. Best believe us 22 seniors are going balls out. I’m not guaranteeing a win, but we’re gonna play with everything we got, every chance we get–and, if we do that, the outcome should be a great one. They say play every game like it’s your last, and seniors, it is. So let’s get a W and Dip! “I Love All Y’all” Have a great homecoming, Niles West!