Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Art Club is a Paint Bucket Full of Fun

Once you walk into room 1775, you will never want to leave. The walls are covered with multi- colored  posters which describe different ways of painting, drawing, and sculpting. This is the setting of Art Club every second and fourth Wednesday of the month.

Art club sponsor Barbara Wismer walks around the room and talks to each individual about the projects they’re working on.  Also, there are paintings made by students who are in the different art classes that are offered here at Niles West and the Art Club.

Wismer usually comes up with a new project in the beginning of each meeting and it slowly evolves to  each member working on their own type of art that they want to work on. They can choose from ceramics, painting and drawing, etc. Many students come in and work with ceramics by making plates, small sculptures, and using the potter’s wheel. Also, they work with the brightly colored fimo clay, making small charms and sculptures.

Recently, orchestra and guitar director, Steven Katz, donated some old guitars to the club which the members have been working on. The guitars have a lot of different designs and color varieties, which make them interesting to look at and very unique.  The guitars will be on display pretty soon, so stop by the Art room to check them out!

Freshman Allie Salter came after school to work on one of her projects she was assigned in art class.  She  is working on a guitar whose theme is based off of Van Gogh’s “Starry Night.”

“We’ve been painting those for about 3 months now and they are really cool!said Wismer.

Students love to come in and work on their projects for their art classes, which gives them a lot of time to focus and concentrate on what they want to accomplish. There are 5 Mac computers where students can come in and work with Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash if they want to create any pictures on the computer.

” It’s basically an hour after school where students can gather in a fun, creative atmosphere while they experiment with various art materials and techniques”, said Wismer.

Sophomore club member  Jakub Jamroz said, “I love this club because you can express your creativity in whatever way you want by using many different materials which the club provides you with.”

The club has around 20 kids staying after school to work on projects every Wednesday.

The club meets the 2th and 4th Wednesday of each month at 3:30 p.m. in the art room, 1775.