Literacy Center Awards Ceremony to be Held Tonight

Senior Dylan Duong tutors senior Thi Le in the Lit Center

The Literacy Center awards ceremony is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, May 23 at 7 p.m. in the Robert L. Johnson Auditorium.

The Literacy Center  is a celebrated center in the school in which students ranging from sophomores to seniors are chosen to tutor their fellow students in whichever area they need assistance in. Every day tutors come into the Lit Center to help their peers during their free periods.

“I think that in a very large, diverse school, The Lit Center is very important because it gives every kid a voice of their own,” said English teacher and Lit Center director Andrew Jeter.

The awards ceremony is to honor some of these exceptional tutors. The awards are given to the tutors who have received Tutor of the Month awards, tutors who were chosen to be awarded the Centurion title,  and the top Rent-A-Tutor. In the end, the Tutor of the Year is also awarded. The winners of the awards have been posted on the bulletin board near the Lit Center.

“It’s been a really positive experience for me, being able to provide guidance in the same place I found it when I was struggling as a freshman. Now winning an award for being able to provide this guidance is great,” said sophomore Charlotte Collins, who won the sophomore Journeyman award.

The program consists of musical performances by the band and orchestra, along with speeches to the seniors about their future lives and how to get on the right path, followed by an ice cream social in the Lit Center room. The ceremony will run for 59 minutes, according to Jeter.  Senior Despina Ades will also be presenting a speech due to her winning the Tutor of the Year award.

All tutors and their families are invited to the program.