Students Question “Healthy Food”

Features Editor Maggie Wibright on the school's food.

Niles West High School has experienced many changes since the end of the 2009-2010 school year. Construction has been introduced, the field house was redone, and the cafeteria food was readjusted. Many students agree that the cafeteria food was their least favorite change.

In the lunchroom, you would first notice the famous pizza that was awed over by most of the students was no more. Instead, the school board chose to guide their students in the “right” direction by changing the crust to wheat bread. This was not the only thing they decided to withdraw. In the new menu, they opted for the ideas of having baked chips, offering diet soda, giving students mashed potatoes instead of french fries, creating low-fat cookies and muffins, and providing the new Snapple drink.

Kids eat anything that you put in front of them. But when the food that you give them is not any good, then you’ve got a problem. The issue at the school is not trying to be healthy, but that the “healthy” food that is provided doesn’t taste good. Students wouldn’t care if the nachos chips were baked or if the mashed potatoes were substituted for the fries, as long as they tasted good. And unfortunately for the school, it doesn’t. “Grilled chicken would be nice,” says junior Christina Leon, after discussing the cafeteria’s chicken patty.

Fountain-size cups in the cafeteria are roughly around 8 fl oz. Snapple comes in a bottle with about 16 fl oz. The fountain size of regular coke is 97 calories and has a whopping 27 grams of sugar. Snapple has 110 calories and 27 grams of sugar in half the bottle. That means that in the entire bottle, there is about 220 calories and 54 grams of sugar. What happened to Diet Snapple?

Heidi Splinter, a Health and Physical Welfare Teacher at Niles West, gives her opinion on the matter. “If I drank that Snapple, I would gain weight,” she adds. Splinter says that she notices the school is trying to incorporate healthier styles in the cafeteria, but maybe something else could be done. “Food items are so expensive these days. Kids would probably buy a salad, if it cost the same as pizza.” She also brings up the idea of possibly having a student/teacher organization that focuses on what people are eating at the school, so students could give their opinions on what they would like to see and not see in their lunch.

Students become frustrated when they talk about the issue of food. “Give us options! Reduce prices! Wheat doesn’t taste good!” says a crowd of students. Katie Hoban, a junior, explains her ideas. “We’re old enough to make our own decisions on what food we want to eat,” she says. “Give us a mixture of healthy and unhealthy food, or just a bigger variety, and we can choose for ourselves.”

All in all, expectations of the students who buy their lunch, are not being met. No one wants to buy a salad worth $3.75 anymore, or have wheat bread included in everything. Many would agree healthy food in the cafeteria is not as loved as administration thought it would be. “They’re killing our school spirit,” says junior Jennifer La Gioia. “How do they want us to have spirit if everything sucks now.”