“Finale” to the Hush, Hush Series

Finale to the Hush, Hush Series

Becca Fitzpatricks’ fourth installment in the “Hush, Hush” series, “Finale,” picks up right where “Silence” left off. After the main character, Nora Grey, kills the Black Hand, Hank Millar, the leader of the Nephilim race, she is named the new commander of the Nephilim army in a battle against the fallen angels.

The first book in the series, Hush, Hush introduced the reader to the bitter rivalry between the Nephilim and the fallen angels. Every year on Chesvan, the fallen angels are able to possess members of Nephilim and wreak havoc on earth.

When Nora and her boyfriend, Patch Cipriano, thought their troubles were over, a new problem arises; Patch is a fallen angel. And as the new, unwanted leader of the Nephilim race, Nora must remain loyal to her pack without her relationship exposed. So she and Patch stage a break-up, hoping to convince the Nephilim that she is loyal to them. She has to do all this successfully while living with her half-sister, and rival, Marcie Millar.

This book wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good either. What was bad about “Finale” is that it got repetitive. After epic endings in her last two book, “Crescendo” and “Silence,” this one was so lackluster. Nora encountered the same problems. She goes out, gets kidnapped by either Nephilim or a fallen angel, and then Nora she plots a devious plan that goes awry. I can only handle such “suspense” for so long.

300 pages later and here comes the good. Since the whole book was building up to a huge battle between Nephilim and fallen angels, my expectations were high. The war made the whole book worth reading. The author, Fitzpatrick, did an excellent job of creating an interesting fight scene and highlighting each character’s strong traits. There was also an intense moment before the battle that causes Nora to question her role to the Nephilim that left me speechless.

Another strong point in this novel was the relationship between the characters. I love reading about Nora and Patch’s relationship, Fitzpatrick did a great job of telling a story of true love. Also, Nora and Vee’s friendship is pure entertainment and exemplified what it really means to be a best friend.

“Finale” was decent. I would recommend finishing off the series although I wish it was more exciting. Hardcover copies of “Finale” are sold at Barnes & Noble for $11.99.