Holly and Ava Podcast Takeover, Featuring Mr Baum

The Mortal Instruments: An Action Packed Adventure

MCT

Here comes yet another book to movie, “The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones.” The book itself is written by Judith Rumelt, better known by her pen name Cassandra Clare. Strangely similar in name, the main character is named Clary.

Clary is a 15 year old like many here at Niles West. She is a regular New York girl who is shy and loves to draw. Her best friend Simon, the nerd who is friendzoned, is constantly jumping in and out of the story. It is strange but Clary, as quiet as she is, goes to a dance club that she has been to before and Simon goes along willingly. This is the point that Clary’s life changes.

In an attempt to stop an evil act, Clary stumbles upon the world of shadow hunters and discovers she can see them when they are supposed to be invisible to humans referred to as “mundanes.” Shortly after, her house is ransacked and her mother disappears. She goes to the shadow hunters for help and they go on an endless search for Clary’s mother.

All of this compiles into a wonderful story, but there are also reality checks in between. Jace and Clary’s relationship is very complicated, especially as the story goes on. This makes it quite interesting to see some of the exchanges between them. Jace seems to have the boy with a dreadful past attitude. Pair that with good looks, and you have a bona fide bad boy. There are simple moments that pass between Jace and Clary that reveal the subtle soft side of Jace’s personality.

Although the story starts out wonderfully, some parts of the story were just unnecessary. This book was very long, and reading 485 pages of nothing happening between Jace and Clary can be a little frustrating for someone looking for romance. The action however, is relentless and ever surprising. I enjoyed the many different plot twists included and they were very well thought out.

Mortal instruments was a good read, but it takes a while to finish it. It’s only the first book of a five book series. I would recommend it for those who love anything magical and those looking for action. You can find copies of “Mortal Instruments City Of Bones” at Barnes and Nobles for $12.99.

3.5/5 Stars