Mortal Instruments City Of Bones: Another Sappy Love Story.

MCT

Clary, our main character, is a 15 year old artist living in New York with her mom. Clary learns she belongs to a race of superhumans called “shadow hunters” who hunt demons. Clary goes on a desperate search for her mother who is kidnapped by demons who are looking for the mortal cup. The mortal cup is a cup given to humans by the angel Raziel. When you drink from the cup, you become a shadow hunter able to use runes (ancient symbols carved on the shadow hunters body. They can heal, give special powers, etc. but are deadly to humans) and protect the world from demons. Along the way, Clary learns that she has a special gift to create runes that don’t even exist. Clary falls in love with another shadow hunter named Jace, but their bond is tested when they learn that their father is the evil Valentine, yes I said their. Plot twist, they’re brother and sister. Valentine is a man who believes that because of the dwindling number of shadow hunters, they should force humans to drink from the mortal cup. The problem is not all humans survive this transformation but Valentine is willing to make this sacrifice. He is so set on this plan that he injects himself with demon blood to control demons. Jace and Clary have to fight their own father to save lives.

Another book to movie that disappoints. This movie may not be as big as “Twilight” was, but it was at some points just as bad. They played up the love story way too much and it was cheesy and annoying at several parts. Jace and Clary had one kiss scene that was completely ridiculous. They kissed in a greenhouse and low and behold the sprinklers turn on. Really? A kiss scene “in the rain?” It was as silly as it sounds. Then they made Valentine too young. He’s supposed to be their father and there was a slightly romantically charged moment between him and Clary that was just strange. Simon was the funniest part of the movie with his wisecracks, but the relationship between him and Isabelle, one of the shadow hunters that helps Clary, wasn’t as prominent in the movie as it was in the book. In the book Simon was very taken with Isabelle and their relationship was comical as Simon continuously made passes at Isabelle and she shot him down every single time. Alex’s part was played very well. I saw the raw emotion in his actions and his facial expressions. His character was the best portrayed based on the book because in the book he hated Clary and they definitely illustrated that in the movie.

The only good part about this movie was the action. The fight scenes were incredible. There was one in particular that caught my attention when Simon had been kidnapped by vampires to an old run down hotel. Jace, Clary, Isabel, and Alex rescue Simon but are cornered by several vampires in a dusty ballroom. Then they start to fight the vampires and dubstep music comes on. It was a great action sequence and the music made it perfect. It was a dubstep remix called “Into The Lair” by Zedd who also produced the radio hit song “Clarity.”

If anything, I would say get some of the songs from the soundtrack. They have artists such as Zedd, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, Colbie Caillat, Jessie J, and Owl City. Don’t see the movie unless you’re looking for action/sappy love story. If you read the book, don’t even bother to see the movie. The book is better.