Opening of the 2014 Olympics in Sochi

Opening of the 2014 Olympics in Sochi
MCT

The walk in of the teams was met with great applause as Germany took a stand by wearing rainbow outfits. Greece followed suit as they sported rainbow gloves supporting the LGBTQ community. Looks like America just got stuck with the winning outfits for ugliest sweater contest. The country Andora wore sweaters but the design looked so much better. There were random people standing on the side in furry white caps dancing while the teams entered which was a little unnecessary.

The fireworks were absolutely spectacular to watch. It seemed as if no expense was spared for the games this year. The Sochi olympics have set new records, becoming the most expensive games. Costing more than three times the money spent on Olympic games in the past few years.

The most interesting performance was when the Russian athletes entered to a song. It was sung by Yulia Volkova and Lena Katina, or t.A.T.u. — a group that had ironically once promoted themselves as lesbian lovers, which they aren’t, but they do support LGBTQ rights. “They’re Not Gonna Get Us” is a song meant to be about fighting the odds and running away together to avoid homosexual persecution which, coincidentally, people are having to do so in Russia due to the new law banning gay propaganda.

All in all, the Sochi Olympics seemed like kind of a big show to say, “Oh look at Russia they have so much money and power.” However, one certain malfunction occurred when snowflakes meant to turn into all five olympic rings all transformed except for one, leaving only four rings. There can always be mistakes when you have so many technical things going on for such a big event, im sure it was just a slip up. I think the opening ceremonies in Sochi were pretty fantastic despite its minor glitches and was proud of the support given to the LGBTQ community by the participating countries.