NWN’s Favorite Books: A Prayer for Owen Meany

NWNs Favorite Books: A Prayer for Owen Meany

Editors Note: This is the first installment of the NWN’s favorite books series.

John Irving’s A Prayer for Owen Meany was unlike any other novel I have read before. It follows the narrator’s life in flashbacks that involve his and his best friends’ journey before and after his mother is killed. The narrator now lives in Canada as an Anglican teaching at an all girls school. He recalls the memories that led him to be where he is.

The summers in Gravesend, New Hampshire mean Little League Baseball for boys Owen and John. But it was the summer of ’53 that changed both of their lives. A foul ball hit by Owen, kills John’s mother.  Unusually, John does not hate Owen for this. In fact, throughout the novel it seems to bring them closer together. As they grow up they question their identity. Owen believes he is God’s instrument and has killed John’s mother for a reason. John doesn’t quite know who he is, but continues to be there for Owen. Even when his identity issues become more unsettling.

John recalls a bizarre memory of Owen. It took place at the annual play, where Owen sees the date of his death written on a tombstone. This will lead to John’s epiphany later on. They both continue to grow but end up going their separate ways. Owen joins the army, while John avoids it.

The date written on the tombstone is the day that Owen gets killed in the selfless act of saving others. At this point John realizes that Owen’s vision was true. That he was God’s instrument. And it is because of Owen Meany that John is Christian.

Most might view this novel as “slow” or “boring.” But I see it as gradual development of character. All 637 pages might make people shy away from the book, but it is much more than just a story about two best friends. It is about how easily our lives can be changed by just one moment.It is this type of novel that makes you feel a connection with the characters. Irving leaves the reader feeling satisfied because you get to see the beginning and end of the characters growth which does not happen in most novels. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a heartfelt classic.

5/5 stars