Meet Me in a Minute: Luke Palmar

“Drake Park, is my home away from home,” junior Luke Palmar said.

Drake Park, located in Lincolnwood became Palmar’s home, a place he went to when he struggled internally and externally. Palmar, an avid basketball player, went to Drake Park and trained hard, pushing himself to be be better than ever. When it was time for seventh grade basketball tryouts, Palmar trained even harder.

“All I ever wanted in life was something with my last name on it. I know that sounds silly but when I made the seventh grade team, my Lincoln hall shooting shirt became my prized possession,” Palmar said.

Unfortunately, Palmar was cut from the team when he tried out for the eighth grade team. Being cut hurt Palmar deeply and he felt as if he had no choice, but to leave basketball behind.

“I was cut for the first time in my life and unable to cope with the pain I had just decided to quit. After realizing I was letting so many people down, I began to change everything around and keep fighting,” Palmar said.

Soon after, Palmar realized how many people he was letting down by not striving to be the best he could be and leaving something he deeply loved behind. With encouragement from his friends, Palmar found himself standing in Drake Park once more, a basketball in his hand and being reminded of the place where his dream started.

“I supported Luke every step of the way. I would come to Drake Park everyday and encouraged him to work towards his dream,” junior Alen Radeljic said.

When freshman year came Palmar tried out for basketball and made the team, regaining his confidence and going back to doing what he loved the most.  Making the team helped him regain his confidence in the game. Palmar gave the game his all, even during practices. Palmar finally felt like he was achieving the dream he worked for his whole life.

“Luke is a hard working kid and will do anything to succeed. He will workout, get into shape, and try to be noticeable to the coaches. He is not a slacker, he’s a go getter. I totally support him and no matter what happens, I’ll be by his side,” junior Taylor Isirov said.

Sadly when sophomore year came, Palmar was faced with the same rejection he felt in eighth grade. Palmar did not make the basketball team for being too small for a game where the minimum height is usually six feet.

When Palmar was rejected, he handled it very differently this time. Palmar didn’t quit and went back to training, spending his time at the place that reminded him what the game was really about. When junior year approached, Palmar decided to take some time off and train, hoping to be better than ever and make the varsity team.

“Basketball has taught me a lot, but the most important thing is to never give up. Even though I have been cut off of teams due to my size I will never stop chasing my dreams. No matter what. Even if that means training harder than ever imaginable,” Palmar said.