Meet Me in a Minute: Edie Alvarado

Junior Edie Alvarado pictured with children from the Dominican Republic during her mission trip in the summer of 2015. Photo courtesy of Edie Alvarado.

Not many people can say that they began living their dream at a young age, but Junior Edie Alvarado is a person who could proudly say that she has already started. Last summer, Alvarado joined the Council on International Education and Exchange (CIEE) and proceeded on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic to help out less fortunate children who are in desperate need of support.

“It was easily the best experience of my life. It helped me truly realize what I wanted to do with my life and how much work is still left in helping people who need it,” Alvarado said.

It all started last year when Alvarado’s spanish teacher, Mrs. Karen Liszka, showed a presentation on the mission trip with the CIEE non-profit organization. In addition, Liszka talked to Alvarado after class advising her that this is something she should look into. At the time, Alvarado was almost positive that she wanted to pursue a career in the medical field, so this was a perfect opportunity for her.

“What do you have to do in order to go?” many people would ask in curiosity. The answer is: a ton of paperwork. First, you have to apply in order to receive an application, and if you get one, then you may go on to apply for a scholarship, as Alvarado had done. 

“The essay took me about a month [to write.] But in that month, I had several people read and edit it, and I had about four drafts. My sister compared it with her college essays, so it was pretty hard. But I think it was a good experience for me going into college applications,” Alvarado said.

Alvarado was in the Dominican for three and a half weeks holding a different responsibility each day. Three days out of the week, Alvarado would take part in aiding children who live in a mental facility due to being either cognitively or physically impaired. During the rest of the days of the week, Alvarado worked with children who are living in severe poverty.

Unlike in America where trash is either buried, burned, or recycled, in many 3rd world countries such as the Dominican, trash is piled up on streets outside of the city. Alvarado witnessed these ‘trash mountains’ during her trip. She also witnessed many families that live in homes made out of trash and saw the horrible living conditions that come along with it.

“It made all of my problems seem so obsolete,” Alvarado said.

During the day, the kids would go to a camp that promoted not being sexually active because many of the them would have kids at the early age of twelve. They would also learn to love God and to pursue what they want to do rather than working on a farm.

“We worked with them on English and other subjects that they will need for the future, as well as some computer skills. We also taught them about the American culture,” Alvarado said.

Alvarado is an inspiration to her friends and family serving as a positive role model that anyone could look up to.

“Edie is the type of person who knows what she wants, she doesn’t wait for other people to push her to do something, she does it on her own. That’s one thing I love about her, she’s so mature and driven for her age and I think it’ll bring her far in life,” older sister and alum Salma Alvarado, said.

Alvarado shows compassion to people in need as well as at home with her friends.

“For as long as I’ve known Edie, she’s always been that one compassionate friend that will always be there for you because she’s just a caring person,” junior Larissa Mihulet said.

Ever since she was nine years old, Alvarado had her dreams set on becoming a doctor.

“The reason why I wanted to go into the medical field was to help people who were impoverished. I would go into the Peace Corps or Doctors Without Boarders instead of sitting in an office,” Alvarado said.

Alvarado’s dreams changed once she found herself drawn into her art classes when she recognized her underlying passion for art. Alvarado is now interested in going into interface design which is the design of user interfaces such as computers, mobile devices, and other electronic devices, with the focus on maximizing the user experience.

“If I get enough money doing that [interface design], then I could go on my own volunteer trips,” Alvarado said.