New Addition to Downtown Skokie: Euro Echo Cafe

While driving through downtown Skokie — Lincoln Ave. to be exact — you may have noticed a new, mint green sign that reads “Euro Echo Cafe.” This new, vintage, European-style cafe has been up and running for about three months now, and is very different from your average American-style cafe. The owners are both from European backgrounds, so they thought it would be nice to bring in a different cultured cafe to Skokie, especially since it’s one of the most diverse towns in Illinois.

“We opened this cafe so that people can relax and enjoy themselves, and just be comfortable while socializing,” said owner Aynur Aytes and her husband Bogoslaw Musial. “There have also been many customers that come in from Chicago or Niles, not just Skokie residents.”

Besides the cultural differences in this cafe compared to others, they also make all their food and drinks fresh and from scratch, with no artificial flavoring, which is hard to find in many restaurants and cafes today.

“This is the best crepe I have ever tried,” Niles West junior Lejla Zenkic said, while trying their Nutella & strawberry crepe. “I would definitely give this place five stars.”

“It’s about my fourth time here,” one Skokie resident said, “and I’ve tried the banana crepe and the Dempster Wrap, but I usually get the crepes — it’s all good, and I would give this cafe five stars.” 

The menu has something for anyone and everyone, from gelato to paninis. Their menu is very inclusive; they serve paninis that are meat free, and even vegan ones.

While Zenkic got the crepe and obviously enjoyed it, the banana strawberry smoothie I drank was lackluster. It was about four dollars, and for that price I just expected something a little bit better. I wouldn’t go out of my way to drive to Euro Echo Cafe for its smoothie. But for a neighborhood cafe, it’s very nice.

The outdoor patio is very cute, chic, and true to the restaurant’s roots, giving off a very European ambiance. The space is perfect for a cool end to an autumn evening.

“I think this is a great place for the community, it’s just what Skokie has been needing,” another Skokie resident said.

This cafe is really for anyone — kids, teens, and adults. So if you’re looking for a relaxing place to sit down and get some homework done, or even somewhere to enjoy breakfast with your friends on a late start, head on over to Euro Echo Cafe.