The Legend Behind Blair Witch

The Blair Witch is a movie based on a known legend in the town of Burkittsville, Maryland. It follows the story of three friends and two locals, who take a trip into the Black Hills forest in Maryland. One of the characters, James (James Allen McCune) believes his sister’s disappearance many years ago had something to do with the legend of the Blair Witch.

According to the legend, in 1785, an Irish immigrant named Elly Kedward was accused of being a witch because children in town accused her of luring them into her house and taking blood from them. She’s known as the Blair Witch because people in town believe she is the reason for many of the killings and kidnapping many years ago.

In the movie, five people, including James, go into the woods and set up their camps with the intention of staying as long as they need to undercover the truth behind James’s sister’s disappearance. At first, the story seemed unrealistic to them and they felt as if nothing would happen. However, group quickly realized things were terribly wrong after odd unfamiliar events started happening.

“You have to spend the night for her to actually get you,” one of the locals said the first night. As the night goes on, they begin to fight for their lives as they soon realize the Blair Witch legend is indeed very real.

At first, I did not want to watch the movie because the scenes was very choppy and cut from one event to another. It was very hard to focus on what was actually happening since the filming seemed to be all over the place. If I wasn’t writing a review on this movie, I probably would have stopped paying attention to it after the first five minutes because of how unorganized and choppy it was coming off as.

“I thought the concept of the Blair Witch project was good, but overall the movie seemed too choppy and fake,” junior Israel Garcia said.

The audience and I had a very hard time understanding what was happening, but that soon faded from our thoughts as the movie progressed to scenes of the people in the woods. As it went on, I started to enjoy the way everything was playing out, and I remember getting more and more glued to my seat. I finally reached a point in the movie where I did not want to continue watching the movie because it was too scary, yet it was too interesting and I was too far into it to stop without finding out what would happen.

The longer the movie went on, the more stressed I became. The movie was at a climax for the majority of the time the people were in the woods, and I became very anxious about what was going to happen next. I felt as though I myself was in the movie, living with the terror of the characters.

“I was nervous the whole time because I was waiting for someone or something to come out of the background and take them,” junior Gabe Arauco.

I believe the movie was well-thought-out with some very good scenes. By the end of the movie, I was fascinated by how good the director was able to keep the audience at the edge of their seat from the first five minutes to the very end. Although Blair Witch started of very choppy and hard to understand, I really loved the way it all came together in the end to entertain the audience. It’s definitely worth the watch on a cool October night.