Financial Aid Night to be Held Tonight

Financial Aid Night to be Held Tonight

The annual Financial Aid Night will begin at 6:30 p.m. tonight, Tuesday, Oct. 4, at Niles North.

The event is held in an attempt to help parents and students learn how to correctly fill out the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) forms to help save money for college.

“[The main goal of Financial Aid Night] is that the parents and students will walk away knowing how to fill out the necessary forms,” college and career counselor Daniel Gin said.

Previously, the night took place in January, but it was moved to October because students now have the ability to begin filling the forms out earlier.

“We’ve always had Financial Aid Night, but now that the students can begin filling it out in October, we’ve moved our program from January to this week,” Gin said.

Some students plan to attend the night to learn how to decrease college costs.

“I’m planning on going if I have the time,” senior Ryan Luu said. “College tuition is really expensive, especially as it adds up over the years. With financial aid, I’m capable of saving some money.”

Other students think that attending the event is unnecessary, because they already know to fill out the specific forms and can get help from past students.

“I’m not attending, because I already have family that has been through the whole process. If I have any questions or something that I don’t understand, they can help me with it,” senior Mary Youmaran said.

According to Gin, the most important thing about tonight is that seniors and their parents will learn the importance of the FAFSA forms and how to correctly fill them out.

“To get the federal government money and, essentially, all this money, they have to fill out all of these forms,” Gin said. “[The applications] opened up this Saturday, so [students] have to do it soon.”