Second Orchestra Concert to be Held Tonight

The orchestra demonstrating their musical abilities.

The second orchestra concert of the year will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Wed., Nov. 2 in the music department at Niles West.

Students will be forming the skills and techniques they have learned in the orchestra chamber music unit.

“This is the Orchestra chamber unit. They will be performing in string quartets and trios,” chamber music coach Rhea Davis explained.

According to Davis, students will be performing in small groups and have worked hard on practicing their music for the performance.

“Each student is placed in a small string group such as a string quartet. They start with a entirely new piece of music and learn it and work it through until the performance, which is the culmination of the unit,” she said.

Students are encouraged to attend the concert to cheer on their hard-working peers in orchestra. Performing in concerts boosts students’ confidence and helps them prepare for future performances or events.

“Performing in any music event or on stage of any kind absolutely boosts a student’s confidence and self esteem. It is a wonderful experience to learn how to present yourself. It also helps develop life skills such as work ethic, responsibility, dedication, and collaboration just to name a few,” interim fine arts director Mary Jo Papich said.

The music students will be performing chamber music, a type of classical meant to be played by amateurs. 

“Chamber music was meant to be played in living rooms and parlors in the older days; this was music meant for people to play and not for professionals, necessarily,” orchestra director Steven Katz said.

Students can stop by the music department for free on Wednesday to experience orchestra first hand.