Hungry Like the Wolf: Southern (BSU) Edition

[youtube]https://youtu.be/D09kC-VxxGo[/youtube]

Editor’s Note: This is the third in a series of seven episodes about International Foods to go along with NWN’s International Week coverage of several clubs. 

Just like mashed potatoes, cornbread, or hush puppies, biscuits are an integral part of Southern culture and cuisine, especially garlic cheese ones, which happen to be my favorite. Unlike your normal biscuit dough, which is suppose to be slightly rolled and worked with, garlic cheese biscuits are meant to stay sticky so they are fluffy and soft from the inside.

These biscuits use arguably the most common ingredient in southern foods: buttermilk. If you don’t have any, just add a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a normal cup of milk as a substitute. Get ready to say goodbye to those packaged mixes of Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits or refrigerated Pillsbury biscuit dough canisters and serve your loved ones these delicacies straight from your own oven.

Garlic Cheese Biscuits

– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 1 stick butter, chilled
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 cup buttermilk
Garlic rub:
– 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1. Cut the stick of butter into small cubes and place in the freezer for 30 minutes before using. The butter needs to be very cold for the biscuits to be flaky.
2. In a bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder, and whisk together.
3. Cut chilled butter cubes into the flour by using a pastry blender, or in this case, mixing on medium speed for 3-4 minutes in a stand mixer.
4. Remove bowl from mixer, add 3/4 cup of cheddar, and mix.
5. Create a well (a hole in the center of the flour mix) and add a cup of butter milk. Fold it into the flour using a spatula. Continue folding in a circular motion until a slightly sticky dough ball is formed.
6. Using a scooper, scoop equal sized dough balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Once the tray is full and you’ve used all the dough, bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
7. In a small pan over medium-low heat, melt butter.
8. Mix garlic powder and parsley flakes into the melted butter
9. Once the biscuits are fully cooked and taken out of the oven, use a pastry brush and generously brush each biscuit with the garlic butter. Enjoy!
Video edited and produced by Inana Zomaya