Hungry Like the Wolf: German Edition

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKkmv-YkMQY[/youtube]

Editor’s Note: This is the fourth in a series of seven episodes about International Foods to go along with NWN’s International Week coverage of several clubs.

Apfel Strudel is undoubtedly one of the most well known German desserts. There are many ways of making strudels including either using puff pastry, fillo sheets, or strudel dough as the dough base, but for simplicity’s sake, I prefer using puff pastry. Plus, puff pastry provides a flaky and buttery crust.

You can use any kind of apples you like, but I recommend using a variety such as 2 granny smith apples and 3 golden crisps to balance the tartness and sour flavors. And most importantly, remember to let the cooked apples cool before adding them to the puff pastry, or else the puff pastry will melt.

With just a couple of simple ingredients needed that most people usually have lying around, be sure to try making this easy, flaky strudel that has an ooey gooey apple cinnamon filling inside that will leave you wanting another slice!

As said in Deutsch:

Viel spaß kochen! Dieses Strudel schmeckt wunderbar!                                                                                                                  (Have fun cooking! This strudel tastes wonderful!)

Apfel (Apple) Strudel
– 5 apples (any kind)
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 sheet thawed puff pastry
– 1 egg
– 1 tablespoon of water
– 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Peel and core the apples.
2. Chop into thin slices and place in a bowl. Melt butter in a wide saute pan. Once melted, add apples and turn the heat up to medium-high.
3. Add sugar and cinnamon to the pan and mix the apples. Continually give the apples a stir while they’re cooking, and cook for about 5-10 minutes or until they have reduced (shrunk) and softened.
4. Set apples aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
5. Lightly flour a work surface (I like to use a pastry mat), remove puff pastry from package and unfold the sheet on the work surface.
6. Roll out the puff pastry and occasionally rotate it to evenly roll out the sheet from all sides so the sheet keeps its rectangular shape.
7. Pour apple filling into the center of the rolled sheet, leaving a 1 inch border on both sides. Fold over one side of the pastry on top of the apples and then fold over the other side like an envelope. Pinch the edges of the strudel to seal. Gently grab strudel and place on a cookie tray lined with parchment or aluminum foil. The seam side should be facing down.
8. Using a sharp knife, cut 4 slits on the top of the strudel, these will ventilate the hot air out of the strudel while it bakes. In a bowl, whisk the egg and tablespoon of water and brush the egg wash all over the top of the pastry. Finally, sprinkle sugar on top.
9. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into equal pieces to serve and enjoy!
Video produced and edited by Inana Zomaya.