El Fuego: Two Worlds Colliding

El Fuego: Two Worlds Colliding

El Fuego is a family-owned restaurant Mexican restaurant that opened in downtown Skokie less than a year ago, taking the place of a small Italian restaurant that closed. Owner Tom Frangos opened El Fuego after having owned restaurants in Mexico in the past, as well as a few in the United States. This restaurant is a welcome addition to the increasing number of ethnic restaurants hoping to draw in more attention to the downtown Skokie area.

Since opening the restaurant, the Frangos family has increased and renovated the space. Frangos broke through the wall next door and opened up the area of what used to be the Italian restaurant. Not only this, but they added in an attractive bar, more seating, and a patio area. 

The decoration is a very appealing representation of the background of the restaurant and the story behind it. As soon as I walked in, I felt the vibe the restaurant was trying to give to its customers. It draws in people with a Hispanic setting, but also mixes in American culture. Two worlds colliding is the feeling a customer experiences when eating a meal at El Fuego. The way this couple has decorated the restaurant is very appealing and perfect for a date night with a loved one or a friend. 

The taste of the food had a very authentic flavor behind it. The tacos were very good because they was well cooked and did not taste fake, which many restaurants sometimes fall victim to.

The meal was more expensive than at similar Mexican restaurants. Two tacos at El Fuego costs the customer $5.95, while two tacos at another local restaurant, El Pueblito, are only $4.00.

El Fuego does a very good job of combining the American and Mexican culture. It has tasty, authentic food, but the prices are more expensive than at another restaurants. I would rate this restaurant four out of five stars because of the high quality of food.