Red Ribbon Week Begins Monday

Red Ribbon Week Begins Monday

By MIchael McKay, Staff writer

Niles West will be celebrating the annual Red Ribbon Week from Oct. 23-28, as students come together to raise awareness and campaign against drug, alcohol, and tobacco use. Red Ribbon Week is held every October across the United States, and West has its own way of raising awareness.

West dedicated an entire week to raising awareness to encourage students to not make destructive decisions sponsored by SADD Club (Students Against Destructive Decisions). SADD club sponsor Jessica Verceles knows about the importance of Red Ribbon Week and why West students should all get involved in it.

“The importance of Red Ribbon Week to [SADD Club] is that it raises awareness and brings to light the positive outcomes of saying no to drugs and alcohol. Red Ribbon Week also allows the Niles West community to come together and rally against an issue: drugs & alcohol. We hope that it encourages Niles West to have conversations about the impact of drugs and alcohol on our lives.  Our health and safety is important to be aware of,” Verceles said.

The SADD Club has decorated the hallways, bathrooms, and even some classrooms with Red Ribbon Week-themed decorations to spread the message to stay away from drugs and alcohol.

“We also created posters in the bathroom with information around the school saying ‘Your future is key, so stay drug free!’ We hope that our posters and spirit week with specific messages encourage students to make safe decisions and grow as safe individuals. We want students to realize that they are in charge of their bodies,” Verceles said.

Junior Nina Gillespie loves the school’s enthusiasm towards raising awareness for Red Ribbon Week. She also commented on the issues and how they affect the student body.

“I love the fact that Niles West raises awareness against drugs and alcohol. It seems to be a huge problem among kids our age, so Red Ribbon Week is important to have. [Red Ribbon Week] can really show those people who are affected by drugs and alcohol just how badly it can ruin them,” Gillespie said.

Director of student activities Katie Odell talks about the how Red Ribbon Week could really help students and how the SADD Club does their best to spread the message.

“Really, West and the SADD Club are trying to raise awareness for not smoking, doing drugs, drinking alcohol, or anything of the like. We really just to want to promote good decision making. The SADD Club has done an excellent job with raising awareness with their promotional items, decorating the halls, and getting the entire spirit week set up. They do their absolute best to promote a drug and alcohol free life,” Odell said.

Niles West will also make Red Ribbon Week an official spirit week for staff and students to dress up in attire for each celebratory day. The spirit week days will go as follows:

Monday: Sweatpants/PJ Day  (living a drug/alcohol free life is no sweat)

Tuesday: Chicago Sports Day (Be a good sport! Don’t do drugs)

Wednesday: Tie Dye Day  (Color my world drug/alcohol free)

Thursday Flannel Pattern Day  (Break the pattern of doing drugs)

FridayRed, Red and more Red   (I pledge to be drug and alcohol free)

Be sure to help raise awareness for Red Ribbon Week by promoting a drug and alcohol free life and participating in the spirit week from Oct. 23-28!