Guilty of Being a Little Bit Bailey Gismert

By Nicole Zelazko, Arts & Entertainment Editor

“Okay, random,” “okay, thirsty,” “okay, what even is that?” These short phrases are tossed around in day-to-day conversation, making it easy for teenage girls to avoid having real opinions.  Though many of us spend 4 years challenging the typical “girly” stereotype, we soon realize that, no matter how hard we try to be different, there will always be a part of us that is Bailey Gismert, the comically cringe-worthy character on SNL’s Weekend Update.

Bailey Gismert, played by Heidi Gardner, emerged as an inarticulate teen who makes a painfully accurate statement on millennials and Generation Z. Instead of assessing the Oscar nominees as a teen film critic should, Gismert avoided stating her actual opinion at all times. Her distracted mind was underscored by her constant hair twirling and her hand spasms, and topped off with her persistent avoidance of eye contact. Her critical thinking did not go far beyond over-used catchphrases like “thirsty” and “random.”

Gardner should be applauded for her spot-on portrayal of the self-conscious, insecure teen that we can all easily relate to (whether we want to admit it or not). We may not be Bailey Gismert, but we all know a Bailey Gismert–and, as a high school teenage girl, I know more than one. I know more than a dozen, actually.

Bailey rolled into the interview with T-Rex hands and the typical sweater-choker fashion statement, and the sense of awkwardness unfolded. After greeting the audience, she shriveled up and her angst hooked us. Not only could she not stay still for more than .04 seconds, but her vocal fry made her words twice as long as they should have been. After host Michael Che introduced her, she jokingly called him a stalker, but once she tried to take back the jab, she became flustered and started slurring her words. This, perhaps, was one of the most accurate moments of the segment. Teens can never seem to say the simple “I’m sorry,” but rather tense up and don’t know where to put their hands. Yes, their hands. It happens, I promise.

Bailey begins her quick responses when she first responds “okay, thirsty” to Che’s first question. As she continues to try to describe the movies she reviewed, her mind stutters as she formulates the oh-so-nuanced reaction: “it was weird.” Two times in a row. This was my first major laughing point in the segment, as I recalled the sets of times I’ve had that exact reaction to the same question. I never realized how “weird” saying “weird” really is– because it can sound so specific in your head. Guilty.

Once the host asks about her opinion on “Call Me By Your Name,” she begins to laugh uncontrollably. And then she says she liked it. That’s it. That’s the extent of her review. She then becomes an overexcited teen once he mentions Armie Hammer, as she instantly interprets his asking if she enjoyed it as saying she “liked him…but not like him-liked him.” As he jokes about her having a crush on Hammer, she responds with “I never said that…just because I’m friends with a lot of guys, doesn’t mean I like him. I mean, I try to be friends with girls, and I get along with guys better.” This. Is. Every. Single. Girl. Ever. If a girl says that she hasn’t ever said this, I can guarantee she is lying. The instant assumption of “crush accusation” is typical of any girl, as well as the over-explanation to cover up the fact that it’s probably true. Guilty, again.

Che apologizes for upsetting her, prompting the best part of the segment. As she begins to tear and lift her fingers to her under eyes, her voice begins to shake and her eyes begin to twitch. As she says she’s not upset, she begins to rant about how she’s just “so stressed every night.” She has the play, guys. And yearbook. And bowling with her dad. And she’s has mono the whole year. She couldn’t even go on the French trip to Qu-Qu-Quebec. This typical mental breakdown was portrayed perfectly. From the denial to the verge of crying phase, every girl can relate to this version of Bailey. Guilty, again..again.

While Bailey seems to be a confident star behind the screen on her “Bailey at the Movies” Youtube channel, she completely breaks down on live television (not just her literal, overemotional breakdown she rightfully had because she is sooo stressed, but also her intellectual breakdown, evidenced by the fact that she can’t formulate a single, real opinion). Her giddy vague description, paired with an unending laugh, unfortunately mimics our lack of detailed personal expression day to day. Still guilty.

Though I’m not an active SNL viewer, this segment caused me to watch 3 hours of recent skits instead of studying for my tests. As I rolled around the floor of the Skokie library laughing and playing this skit on repeat, I realized how accurate it truly is. The backlash it received, in my eyes, was from those who do not want to acknowledge its truth. Girls who felt offended and found the character far fetched are probably the exact girls Gardner is imitating. Though we all may not act like Bailey Gismert, we sure have certain qualities and traits that can relate to her, whether it’s being being overemotional or feeling unnecessary anxiety when it comes to boy problems and the oh-so-stressful life of a teenage drama queen. It’s okay to laugh at yourself and realize that, yes, this is the era we live in now. I just hope the “okay random, what even is that” reaction to SNL — or the very mention of network television — withers away.