Tim Dykes: A Caring Educator

By Pavle Vuksanovic, Staff Writer

When students think of school, they think of classes, homework, and their teachers. Often times, they neglect the inner workings that help school function properly. Tim Dykes, a former teacher and now a Dean of Students, is a prime example of the gold plated inner workings of the school machine. He’s a caring educator with one simple priority: students first.

“I started out as a teacher and a coach, and it was all about how I could use my talents and my abilities to be able to help the most kids” commented Dykes. “I can’t imagine myself working with anyone else, other than working with teenagers. It’s what I’ve done ever since I student taught, and now I’m 40.”

One of Dykes’ responsibilities is to work with the counselors to decide what is the best for each student. Ann Alegnani, a close coworker of Dykes’, comments on his passion for his job.

“I think he’s very thorough. He really cares about students, and he wants to always be sure to find the best and sometimes he’s able to think of a lot of creative things to help students,” Alegnani said.

As well, Dykes is a Chicago native. He grew up in Edison Park and later moved to Mount Prospect where he went to Hersey High School. Afterward, he attended North Park University where he got his bachelors in History, followed by his Masters in teaching at Northeastern. Working in schools was his plan all along.

“I knew early on like I was probably 16 or 17 years old, I knew I wanted to teach and coach,” he explained.

And he followed through on his promise to himself. Out of college, he worked at a Middle School for 4 years teaching social studies followed by working 9 years at Leyden High School teaching US History, Law, and Chicago History. Finally, he has been at Niles West for 5 years and intends to stay. All the while, keeping faithful to his love of baseball, he worked as a high school baseball coach for 16 years.

Now since he’s at Niles West, his aim is to do the most he can to improve our school. Even though he loves where he works, he is always reaching for the stars in terms of what Niles West can achieve. David Hawk, the Interim Dean of Students,  loves working with Dykes on a daily basis and admires his drive to make the school a better place.

“He’s extremely dedicated to keeping Niles West as good of a school as it is,” said Hawk. “Also [he focuses on] improving the things that we’re great at as well as some of our areas which need improvement too.”

Dean Dykes is a kind-hearted administrator who resides in the halls of Niles West. He helps his students wholeheartedly and is invested in the surprise his everyday life brings him. And, to all the students, know that his presence is nothing but good. If you haven’t met him, keep it that way and stay out of trouble. If you have met him, let him guide you onto the right track.