Rock Out with the Rock ‘N Roll Club!

Room 1605: a regular PE classroom by day, but on Wednesday afternoons it becomes more than that, it becomes a “stage” for new and old rock and rollers. Spanish teacher Steven Lander tries to get everyone’s attention over the loud amplifiers, but instead of beating the noise by shouting, he turns off the lights like a second grade classroom and all goes silent. Junior Merrill Miller, the club’s president for a second year in a row, then takes “center stage” to go over the agenda of the day.

“Every week we learn a new song,” says Miller, “We’re trying a new thing this year called the history of Rock & Roll. It’s an eight week process in which we take the group through music ranging from the early 1920’s until about the early 1990’s.”

This year, the club has already shown a positive outlook. The club already has about 20 members, which is an improvement from last years club of five people.

Aaron Ruderman, a senior and vice president of the club comments on last years lack of members. “There were four to five solid people that showed up,” says Ruderman. “At one point it wasn’t even a club meeting anymore. It became more of an exclusive band practice. We’d come in and rehearse the songs for the next gig. Now, with more members, we get to be inclusive and teach anyone who wants to learn.”

“I can tell that this year will be 100 times better than last,” says Miller. “We have more people this year who can play in our shows and show off their talents. There’s also more freshmen in the club, so it’s nice to know that there will be people there to take over the club after we all graduate.”

Lander, who has been the club’s adviser for the past five years really enjoys the atmosphere of the club for this year.

“I like that they teach each other. Everyone helps out everyone, and we all get to jam to the same song at the end,” he said.

Some of the upcoming events that you can see the Rock ‘N Roll club at will be the Homecoming float building, the variety show, Pizza Wars and finally, the Niles West and Niles North charity event, Wolfstock. The club meets every week on Wednesday afternoons from 3:30-5. Come and jam out with the club!