Top 5 TV Shows to Watch While Social Distancing

By Alma Duskic, Managing Editor

COVID-19 has completely flipped the lives we are used to living upside down, as the rules of social distancing and quarantine have left us locked inside our homes. In this time of uncertainty, there’s one thing everyone can turn too, streaming services. Here’s a list I have compiled of the top five TV shows to watch during coronacation.

1. White Collar

“White Collar” follows the story of known con artist turned criminal informant, Neal Caffery, and FBI agent, Peter Burke. Together, the duo investigates white-collar criminals in New York. Neal uses his criminal ties to help Agent Burke catch these criminals, which range from art thieves and forgers to assassins, all the while Neal is continuing his illegal activities. Neal Caffery is quite possibly one of the coolest characters that I have ever seen, and from watching White Collar, he makes you want to become a criminal. Neal is very savvy, and his bad-boy appeal is through the roof, and his other criminal friend Mozzie, is the complete opposite of him, but still one of my favorite characters. Overall, I highly recommend White Collar to anyone who enjoys crime shows. “White Collar” is six seasons long and can be found on Hulu.

2. Tiger King

If you have been on Twitter in the past week, you know exactly what I’m talking about. “Tiger King” has taken the world by storm, and for a good reason. This docuseries is quite possibly the most insane show I have ever watched to date. It follows the story of Joe Exotic, a zoo owner based in Oklahoma, who is an enigma. I honestly cannot believe he is real. He owns a huge zoo and is a proud owner of big cats like tigers, hence the name Tiger King. I thought the show would be strictly about his zoo, and how he came into the possession of over a hundred tigers, but I was so wrong. Alligator arson, expired Walmart meat, mullets, murder for hire plots, a missing husband with an allegation that he was fed to tigers, polygamy, country music about tigers, and guns. That doesn’t even cover half of it. I was truly mind blown the entirety of the show, and I highly recommend that everyone watch this. Tiger King is one season long and can be found on Netflix.

3. Formula 1 Drive to Survive

As someone who knows close to nothing about Formula 1 racing, I thought this show was going to be so dull. I had never watched a single race and only began watching this show because my brother had it playing on the TV, and after one episode I was hooked. This docuseries follows the lives of the racers of the 10 teams from the league. I knew absolutely nothing about racing going into this series, and I now am a huge fan of Formula 1, and I give full credit to this series. It takes you behind the scenes of races, and into the lives of the drivers and the teams. From drama between drivers to tension between teams, the show brings Formula 1 into a new light, which is very interesting to watch. The new season of Formula 1 Drive to Survive can be found on Netflix.

4. Rick and Morty

If you haven’t heard of Rick and Morty by now, I think you’re living under a rock. Ricky and Morty is an animated show, but not for kids. It’s on the explicit side, but it’s one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. Rick is the smartest man in the universe, but also an alcoholic. Morty is his grandson, who did not inherit Rick’s insane IQ. The two of them go on insane intergalactic adventures, that more often than not, end up going wrong in some way. The show does have some adult humor, so if your sensitive to things of that nature, I wouldn’t recommend this show, but if this doesn’t bother you, I highly recommend Rick and Morty. Rick and Morty is four seasons long and can be found on Hulu.

5. QB1: Beyond the Lights

“QB1: Beyond the Lights” is yet another docuseries that follows the lives of athletes. This show, in particular, follows the lives of three high school quarterbacks through their senior season, per season. I would not consider myself a football fan in the slightest, but for some reason, I find “QB1: Beyond the Lights” incredibly interesting. The show goes in-depth into the ups and downs that these quarterbacks face, and it goes into the perils of being famous at such a young age. A lot of these teens are nationally ranked, which places them on a high pedestal with standards that they constantly need to meet. The show made me realize how crazy the recruitment process is for student-athletes, and it was interesting to see these future superstars, in some cases, doing normal things like going to bonfires with friends. “QB1: Beyond the Lights” has three seasons and can be found on Netflix.