Astronomy Club Preview: 2020-2021

Astronomy Club’s field trip to Adler Planetarium last year.

By Gabrielle Feliciano, Staff Writer

Students with a penchant for learning about the Earth, the universe, and everything in between will find their place in Astronomy Club. Astronomy Club is a space where anyone, from amateurs to experts, can learn about astronomy. By meeting every other week, students can be part of a community where anybody and everybody is welcome to share their astronomical interests.

“It’s a great club for those who are interested in anything pertaining to space, from galaxies to exoplanets,” senior Tesia Mathew, another member of Astronomy Club, said.

This year, Astronomy Club is hosting lectures, discussions, et cetera about anything and everything astronomy-related. Members of the club are planning presentations of their own, covering stars, planets, and much more. Astronomy Club is also hosting observatory nights in Niles West’s observatory, where students and sponsors alike use the telescope to find and take pictures of various celestial bodies.

“This year, our Astronomy Club has quite a few interesting events to join. During our meetings on Wednesdays, the membership is learning about how stars forms and die. Also, a new probe is landing on Mars in February, and we’re meeting one of its camera’s designers next semester,” Astronomy Club sponsor Elizabeth Ramseyer said about this year’s agenda. “Tuesday and Friday evenings, we are planning to use the telescopes at the observatory. Four members of the club were able to view Saturn and Jupiter and Mars last month. We are using COVID safety protocols to remain safe (6ft apart, wearing masks and disinfecting surfaces). Please consider joining us (when it is safe to do so) to experience our telescopes!”

“Learning how to use the telescope in the observatory is a once-in-a-lifetime experience,” senior Dina Dikyanos, another member of Astronomy Club, said.

Jupiter, taken on 10/21/2020 from NWHS’ observatory.
Unidentified Messier object, taken on 10/21/2020 from NWHS’ observatory.

Post-quarantine, Astronomy Club is planning to take field trips to a variety of museums, observatories, et cetera, including the Adler Planetarium, the Museum of Science and Industry, and Yerkes Observatory. Additionally, Astronomy Club is planning to host star parties (communal gatherings of astronomers), as well as movie nights.

“It’s so cool to learn about the universe,” freshman Rylie Gordon, another member of Astronomy Club, said. “Astronomy Club is super fun and you should definitely join.”

“If you’re interested in observing the constellations or finding supernovas and other galactic galaxies, come join us!” senior Eric Fitzgerald, one Leader of Astronomy Club, said.

Astronomy Club meets every other Wednesday on Zoom from 2:00PM to 3:00PM; members are free to come and go whenever they like. If you are interested in joining, contact Ms. Ramseyer at [email protected].