Real Steel Will Steal Your Heart

We all know Hugh Jackman for his famous role as Wolverine in the “X – Men” movies, but in his latest movie, “Real Steel,” Jackman takes on the role of Charlie, a money-hungry robotics technician forced to turn into a father to his 11-year-old son Max, with whom he has never had any contact before the incident that forced him to claim the child as his own.

Jackman’s character, Charlie, designs and constructs robots to compete in fights that are a cross between mixed martial arts and boxing for a profit in the 22nd century. When Charlie’s last robot is destroyed, he’s really not in the place to take on the responsibility of a young boy, but to Charlie’s surprise, Max is a lot smarter in the robot business than he leads people to believe. Soon, Max discovers a lost robot that changes him and his father’s lives forever.  Max’s vast knowledge of robot fighting and his stubbornness to follow his gut instincts creates a bond between him and his father that will have you cheering for the dynamic duo until the very last scene.

When people think of futuristic robot movies, they usually think of cheesy costumes and pointless violence, but “Real Steel” will break that stereotype. There are no major changes made to the world as we know it, except, of course, for the fighting robots.

Director Shawn Levy (whose previous works include the “Night at the Museum” movies and “Date Night”) does an excellent job of including components from all sorts of movies. There’s a reasonable amount of violence without being too dramatic, and there’s enough suspense to keep you guessing. The family aspect is also included through Jackman’s relationship with his son, and, of course, the element of romance can never be left out of any movie in this day and age.

Not only is the balance of all the genres a great aspect to the movie, but the acting is also superb. Jackman, who has never played a fatherly role throughout the entirety of his acting career, makes his new found love for his son totally believable. Newcomer Dakota Goyo, who plays the 11-year-old Max, will also have you falling in love with him from the very first scene he appears in. Rather than approaching the father that he has never met as shy and cautious, he comes off as a smart-mouthed, assertive little ball of ideas and energy. At first, Max and Charlie’s personalities clash, but their bond strengthens throughout the movie to such an extent that when together, they seem almost invincible. The way Max admires and looks up to his father will bring tears to your eyes.

In a movie that takes place in the future, the special-effect factor is bound to be plentiful. The special and visual effects crew consists of a list of more than 25 people, and all of them incorporated just the right factors to make “Real Steel” totally believable without being far fetched or exaggerated.  All in all, Hugh Jackman’s latest box office smash will leave you begging for a sequel just to get lost in the world of the near future once more.