2022-23 Sophomore and Junior Year Course Recommendations

Alicia Malek

January course registrations for next year.

By Emma Schieffer, Opinions Editor

As students begin to meet with their counselors for course recommendations for the next school year, it is important to know all of the options available.

Freshman to sophomore year course offerings:

Social Studies

Students typically fill their Civics requirement during their sophomore year. They may either take the one-semester Civics course or AP Government and Politics to fill this requirement. If students decide to take Civics, then they may also take the following courses for the second semester.

One semester courses:

• Psychology
  • Law
  • Asian American Studies
  • Global Problems
  • Black and Latinx Studies, Sociology
  • World Religions
  • World War II
  • Introduction to Debate

All courses except Introduction to Debate are offered at the general and honors levels.

Two semester courses:

• AP Economics
  • AP Government and Politics
  • AP Psychology
  • AP European History

While students are welcome to take these AP courses during their sophomore year, it is important to note that only AP Government and Politics will fill the Civics requirement.

English

In addition to the sophomore English class, students may also take the following.

One semester courses:

• Bible and Mythology
  • Digital Storytelling
  • Broadcast Production
  • Composition and Rhetoric
  • Creative Writing
  • Journalism
  • Public Speaking
  • Asian American Literature

Two semester courses:

• Advanced Broadcast Production
  • Newspaper Production

Science

Students usually take regular or honors chemistry.

Math

For math, courses will depend on the current class students are taking. Most students will be moving from Algebra 1 to Geometry or Geometry to Algebra 2. These courses are available at the regular, advanced, and honors level.

Sophomore to junior year course offering:

Social Studies & English

For junior year, sophomores can take the ALCUSH course, which correlates topics in their American Literature and Composition English class and United States History class. They will still be taking two classes, one for English and one for history, but topics in their classes will relate to one another.

Another option is to take the AP English Language and Composition class known as the Great American Writers (GAW) class. This will fulfill their English credit, and then they may either take US History or AP US History.

Science

Students usually take Physics or AP Physics 1, but if they have taken Calculus or will be taking Calculus the following year, they have the option to take AP Physics C.

Math

Options will depend on the current class students are taking, but most of the current sophomores will be moving from Geometry to Algebra 2 or Algebra 2 to Precalculus. These courses are available at the regular, advanced, and honors level.

Physical Welfare

Additionally, incoming juniors have more options for gym.

• Aerobics
  • Adventure Ed  1
  • Adventure Ed 2
  • Strength and Conditioning
  • Varsity PE (offered as EB)
  • Dance 1
  • Dance 2
  • Integrated PE

For more information on the courses listed, please refer to the student handbook: 2022-2023 Course Guide