This is How We Roll: Boys’ Bowling Comes to an End

This is How We Roll: Boys Bowling Comes to an End

By Katarina Pljevaljcic, Staff Writer

Saying goodbye to their season, the Niles West boys’ bowling team ends with high hopes for next year. Although the season ended, head coach James Krzeminski is already looking forward to what the next season will bring for them. In total, the team houses 8 players with the current goal to expand the number.

“Given the current environment with COVID, we were happy to have a full season. Our numbers are down from previous years partially due to schools going remote. I was happy to fill a full team. Next year I am hoping to fill a full Varsity and JV team,” Krzeminski said. 

As some sports like basketball were forced to shut down during winter break, bowling was fortunate to have a continuous season.

“I’m glad we got it all complete without shutting down,” Krzeminski said.

Even though the season ended fairly soon, the boys surpassed expectations for this year.

“Our best game came about during regionals. Our team of five averaged a score of 182 each for our season high of 911. Our top bowlers for the season were sophomore Reymond Chin with a 168 average, senior Hans Gartner with a 165 average and freshman Ryan Luecker with a 160 average. We are sad to lose Gartner, but Chin and Luecker will give us a strong start for next year,” Krzeminski said.

As of this year, the boys’ reached regionals with two of their players coming close to sectionals: Chin and Gartner. Although the season has wrapped up, many are choosing the post-season to improve.

Since the bowling season is over for my teammates and I, I’m looking forward to the bowling league that I always go to and future tournaments that I will attend. I am always looking forward to improving myself as a bowler and I am looking forward to joining next season for school,” Chin said.

Even though Chin is seen as a great bowler, he still feels as if there are always areas to improve in.

One thing I definitely need to improve on is consistency with my shots because I am not hitting my mark (arrow) all the time, which prevents me from getting strikes. Also, my form when I am releasing the ball,” Chin stated.

Sophomore Reymarc Chin acknowledges how great of a teammate Chin is.

Some may say that he is, “A bowler that strives to be the greatest he can be and never gives up.” As a team overall, he always likes to have fun and keeps the team in a chill environment,” Chin stated.

With that being said, hopefully next year these changes will be made and the bowling team can having a successful season. Just remember it’s not how you bowl, it’s how you roll.