Threading Love for Valentine’s Day with Fashion Club

One of the many Valentine’s Day cards created.

By Alicia Malek, Academics Editor

Carrying the Valentine’s Day spirit, Fashion Club held their hand-embroidered Valentine’s Day card event on Thursday, Feb. 10. Any students who wanted to get crafty before Valentine’s Day had the chance to meet in room 1315 to create letters for their loved ones.

The club, which is open to all students, whether or not they are taking a fashion class, is sponsored by family & consumer sciences teacher Michelle Kline.

“Fashion Club is a great place for students to explore the world of fashion. Even though we don’t learn to sew in the club (this is what we do in Fashion 1 & 2), we cover a lot of areas of fashion,” Kline explained. “We bring in guest speakers (costume, clothing, and accessory designers to name a few). We also do a variety of fashion and textile crafts (like the hand embroidery cards and making t-shirts using heat transfer vinyl).”

According to Kline, the club has been around for many years. Kline wanted to give the students the same opportunity to love fashion as she had when in high school.

“When I was in high school, I took a fashion class. My teacher suggested I go to college to study fashion design. When I was in college, I found out that I could teach both fashion and early childhood education by getting a degree in Family and Consumer Sciences. So that’s what I did. I love teaching fashion and inspiring others to sew,” Kline said.

Students were given cardstock and string, in the colors of their choice, where they then used a needle to thread it into the paper creating a perfect heart-shaped design. If students wanted, they could write a message in the card and give it to a friend, family member, crush or any loved one.

“We’re here making some really cute Valentine’s day cards. I love Fashion Club and Mrs. Kline,” freshman Michelle Martcheva said.

Members enjoyed spending time together and designing their cards. “Fashion Club is just here to teach some crafts and spread a little love this Valentine’s Day” Kline said. Freshmen Ross Martchev and Kelsey McFarland agree. “In Fashion Club, love and thread are in the air,” freshman McFarland said.

Their next meeting will be on March 22 from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.

“Fashion Club will be zooming with Ariel Tidhar (a Niles North alumni) who has her own Jewish accessories business. All are welcome to join us,” Kline said.

Interested in joining? Connect to Remind @fashclubnw or email Mrs. Kline.