Top 5 Final Exam Studying Tips

By Katelin Chong, Arts and Entertainment Editor

As the end of the year approaches, both finals and AP exams are growing closer and closer. If you’re looking for a little insight on how to prepare for your exams, look no further — here are some studying tips that have aided me throughout high school during finals season.

1. Make a studying schedule.

Creating a schedule when you are going to study for a specific course can be tremendously helpful when it comes to keeping yourself in check. By writing out or telling someone what you plan to do, you are able to better visualize what you need to get done and feel more obligated to complete your tasks. I highly recommend this tip to anyone who finds it hard to start their work.

2. Review your old notes and worksheets.

Take advantage of all the homework and schoolwork your teachers assigned you — instead of tossing out your old papers, look back on them and refresh your memory on what you should focus on, whether it be a specific writing style or a list of formulas. Although you may not have thought much of them at the time, the materials you get throughout the semester can be a great help, especially during finals week.

3. Ask others how they are studying.

If your usual study routine is not cutting it for you, ask your peers what they are doing to prepare. Instead of repeatedly using a strategy that is not working, getting a new point of view from your friends can give you a better idea of what to try. Keeping an open mind and trying new ideas is the best way to improve your studying and do better on tests.

4. Talk to your teachers.

It never hurts to ask a teacher for advice, especially when it comes to their own exam. If you find yourself stressed and lost on what to look over, don’t hesitate to set up a meeting with your teacher to discuss what to go over — they are not there to make you fail. The ultimate goal of teachers is to see their students succeed, so where’s the harm in asking for some tips? Not only will you gain more insight on your test, but you will demonstrate your interest in their class and show your dedication!

5. Get enough rest!

Exhausting yourself will get you nowhere. It is vital to be in a good, healthy state during finals week and the only way to achieve this is to get a proper amount of rest, no matter the amount of work you are doing. Be sure to take breaks when you need them, eat well and stay hydrated. Your body can only handle so much — don’t put it through stress it doesn’t need.

A piece of advice I try to follow is to not stress over things I can’t control, and I suggest everyone utilizes this mindset as well. Control what you can and do your best. I hope these tips gave you some insight, good luck to everyone with your exams!