The Vending Machine Story UNPACKED: Students Wait Until 2 p.m.to SNACK

By Gia Bexes, Features Editor

In an effort to keep students from being crowded in the hallways here at West, a new rule was put in place regarding vending machines. During the busy nine-period long school day, many students seek food and drink access from the vending machines. However, the vending machines are closed throughout the day until approximately 2:00 pm, around 8th period.

Vending machines are a popular spot in the school, as several students like to grab themselves food or drink, some students see access throughout the day as a necessity. Due to the strong desire of students to get food from the vending machines, problems arise.

“Students congregate around the vending machines and take advantage of it, which leads to students being late to class,”  Assistant Principal of Operations Steve Parnther said.

With the new school year on its feet, new changes have been underway.

“We are trying to prioritize learning and safety,” Parnther said. “Last year we looked at some things to change for this year, one of them being lots of students in the hallways. One of the best changes we made is limiting students in the hallway.”

Hallways can get crowded during passing periods, and crowding tends to occur near vending machines.

While many students agree that vending machines can cause a commotion, some believe vending machines should be accessible throughout the entire school day.

“Since I have narcolepsy, I might pass out in class so my doctor has told me to drink one soda whenever I’m tired, but vending machines aren’t open until 8th period,” junior Melanie Molitor said.

“I think [vending machines] should be open all day long and accessible to everyone,” junior Anastasia Haskos said. “People shouldn’t have to wait in a long line during passing period just for a snack or a drink, they might need a drink or a snack for a medical reason.”

Students with documented medical conditions have other means of getting snacks and drinks throughout the school day, including visiting the Nurse. Most students have a scheduled lunch period as well.

“Water fountains are there for water, [and] if there are students in need, student services are there to make sure they get a snack if they need [one],” Parnther said. 

Water fountains with bottle-fillers are also stationed throughout the school on every floor. They can be accessed during passing periods and during class, with teacher permission and a pass.

One consequence of the limited access to vending machines is a decrease in revenue. Niles West’s Student Activities received profit from the vending machines, as well as the vending machine service provider.

“It’s impacting student activities and our vending service provider, it does impact the money, but it’s not gonna prevent us from the things we are doing for the school,” Parnther said.