Opinion: There Should be Stricter Enforcement on Elevator Use

Feb 9, 2023

As someone whose only way to get to class is through the elevator, Niles West should have stricter enforcement when it comes to elevator passes and who is able to use the elevators. Using the elevator is extremely frustrating since there are many students who hog the elevator without a nurse’s pass.

Despite leaving five minutes early for most of my classes, I still often deal with students hogging the elevator. There are two elevators in the school. One is all the way to one side of the school by the Oakton Lobby, whereas the other is located on the opposite side where most science-related classes are held. Both locations make it extremely difficult to get there and even though I leave five minutes early, there will still be a couple, or group of students hop on and hog it.

There have been several times last semester when other students would use the elevator when they did not have a pass or a medical excuse. It was horrible having to wait until the elevator would come back down so I could finally head to class. Too many times last year, I had dealt with watching six to eight students hop into the elevator for almost all of the passing period.

The school should begin enforcing stricter rules when it comes to the elevator and who is able to use it. It’s frustrating for students who are unable to use the stairs and have to wait because it can lead students to be late for their classes. Only because ignorant, lazy students have no respect for others. It also causes conflict for us students who have to deal with several unnecessary tardies for students who use the elevator and ditch their classes anyways. Unfortunately, there have been too many times when I had no other choice but to use the stairs, which was incredibly dangerous to my health.

Also, students should just have general respect for the staff members as well, who have to use the elevator to bring up heavy items. Such as the janitors who have usually pushed around a cart of cleaning materials or other staff members that may carry heavy boxes and items. Staff members need access to the elevator, whether it is to clean or help bring items to a classroom. Students should respect them by not using the elevator when not necessary.

Students that do not have the ability to use the stairs should be respected and considered in terms of the elevator, which is why the school needs to install stricter rules and enforcement. Staff members should supervise activities involving the elevator and ask for elevator passes to be shown. If no elevator pass is shown or has expired, students should not have access to that elevator.

Niles West News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in