West and North Go Head to Head at Their Volleyball Rivalry Game

Aaron Linang, junior, subs in for David Rus, senior, for the next play of the set.

With the season almost ending, the Niles West Boys Volleyball program is fighting hard during each game. The boys played their hearts out during the rivalry game against the Niles North Vikings. The Vikings took the lead from the beginning and kept it for the entire game, but West was right behind trying to get ahead. The boys held on as long as possible but failed to secure, losing in two sets.

During the first set of the game, the boys communicated well which was a strength during this game. Their offense was strong as well as their serve receives. Towards the end of the first set, the boys had a little lead, but North finished off winning that set instead because of some of the Wolves’ weaknesses.

“Our weakness is playing down to the other team’s level, energy is on and off. We lack consistency on the court. However, as a team, we play well, but we need to continue to be more consistent and communicate better. We need to work on our error making, and staying aggressive at the net. Keep pushing, and keep striving to be better than yesterday. I always tell myself every day to, ‘be good today, but be better tomorrow,’” senior Scooter Arthur said.

Before the second set, the boys got together and talked out things they needed to fix for the upcoming set. They were trying to win the second set to hopefully play a third set and take the win. During the second set, sophomore Dillawar Chaudhry was ready to be aggressive at the net and junior Daniel Cretu was an important asset to the team as well.

The team wouldn’t be where they are without their leaders.

“Senior Nathan Magsino is a good leader and does a great job running our offense as our setter. Especially tonight, Danny stepped up and even though he doesn’t play the position he was put in, he showed up tonight. Lastly, junior Will Arvizu is always ready to give you an encouraging word when you make a mistake and is the first person to cheer another person up if another teammate is frustrated,” Arthur said.

During the second set, the Vikings played a strong defense as well, while also attacking offensively. Both teams had solid game plans to win against the other rival. North was able to take the cross-town rivalry trophy home.

The boys volleyball team is ending their season soon with a record of 13-15.

“Our boys have played well consistently this season, and Thursday against North was no exception. I believe we can win our last two matches of the regular season. Also, we have rotated captains this season, however, we do have strong leadership from many of our guys,” assistant coach Michael Hoffman said.

With only a handful of games left of the season, the boys are continuing to execute goals they made at the beginning of their season. The boys have two more away games until the IHSA regionals. Come cheer the boys on!

“Our major goal for the rest of the season is continuing to work on having a ‘next point mentality’ and playing disciplined volleyball no matter what,” coach Zachery Sinn said.

The boys continue to carry motivation and drive into the remainder of their season.

“There’s no failure, only delayed success,” Arvizu said.