Spring Sports Wrap Up the 2024 Season

From April till May, Niles West Spring athletes have been putting in the work to excel during their season. The spring season for sports offered at Niles West consists of baseball, boys and girls water polo, boys gymnastics, girls soccer, boys volleyball, boys tennis and boys and girls track and field. Each team held athletes who worked hard for the last stretch of the year to make this year count.

The Niles West boys track and field captains, holding their conference champions award.

Boys track and field ceased to disappoint by winning in their conference as well. Senior, Murad Sawalha placed all-conference at pole vault with a personal record of 12 feet and 9 inches. Junior Dagem Gashaw held the all-conference athlete title for both the 300 and 100-meter hurdles, the Wolves 4×8 team placed all-conference too with a time of 8 minutes and 14 seconds.

The girls track and field season followed up with great accomplishments as well, for their 2024 season. The team placed 3rd at conference, but many of their athletes placed all-conference. The Wolves 4×4 team won it all with a time of 4 minutes and 20 seconds, and senior Jeslyn Varghese won her event in the 400-meter dash. Junior and captain Carissa Uy made this season count. Uy broke the Niles West school records for both events, long and triple jump, during the outdoor and indoor seasons. On top of that she placed all-conference for the 100-meter dash, long jump and triple jump. Uy placed at sectionals as well, qualifying for state.

The Niles West boys gymnastics team.

Our gymnastics athletes made it to state, both as a team and individually. Out of the 16 boys who are on the team, 11 of them qualified individually for Floor Exercise, Pommel Horse, Rings, Vault, Parallel Bars and High Bar. However, the season ended there, but the boys are ready to come back next year and make it even further.

The girls and boys water polo teams were faced with a major challenge this year with no pool, due to it being under renovation. The Wolves were bussed back and forth from district rivals, Niles North, pool to get practice in each day to improve. The boys held a record of 13-13. Both teams had a total of 12 seniors and are ready to get back to their home pool for their next season.

Girls soccer just wrapped up their season as well, winning their regional game on Wednesday, May 16, 1-0. The girls held third place in their conference. The Wolves practiced, rain or shine, in the stadium each day improving their skills throughout the season.

Boys tennis held a great season as well this past spring with 11 members on varsity. The boys placed third place in their conference.

Wolves boys volleyball just held their last conference game this past Tuesday, May. 14. They have been working in and out of practice to better themselves. Pre-season was held every week leading up to try-outs, and once the season started the boys have been grinding during practice every day after school.

The softball athletes at Niles West have one more game left in their season, which was held on May 16, at Glenbrook North. As for now, the girls are placed second in their conference, with Main West ahead.

The boys baseball program held a great season, as they took first

The Niles West Baseball team after winning their conference game.

place and won conference. This accomplishment was the first for every athlete on the team, as the last time the Wolves won conference was 37 years ago. This is also the last year with their head coach, Mitchell Stern, as he heads into retirement. The boys have three more games left in their season before they complete their 2024 season for good.

All Niles West athletes held an exciting year, starting the year with the fall season, and then shifting to the Wolves’ winter sports the school finished off strong with their spring athletes. Congratulations to all the athletes who made state and all the graduating seniors this year!