Girls Softball Senior Night vs Lane Tech

Reading Between the Lines: Book Club

Reading Between the Lines: Book Club

Spread in a wide circle with their legs crossed and books in their laps, the Book Club members have gathered to express their opinions about the book of the month, which one of the members recommended at the previous meeting. As the members pass around snacks, the selector of the book leads the discussion by asking questions and bringing up points that have stood out to them. The rest of the members join in on the conversation, whether they agree or not, and even though English teacher and sponsor Sharon Swanson drives the discussion into different directions, it feels as if you’re just talking about a really great book with a group of friends.

The conversation varies from “What did you think of the book?” to “Would you ever be selfish enough to break up with someone over something like that?” Things can get intense when someone disagrees strongly with another, but that sort of debate is what keeps Book Club interesting. The students are confident enough to voice their opinions and create a friendly atmosphere in which one feels at home, rather than at school, and can enjoy some snacks while casually chatting about a great novel.

“The students [are the ones] that really run the show,” Swanson said. “Whoever selects the book leads the book discussion the day of the meeting.”

The club meets once a month on Wednesdays at 3:30 p.m. in Room 1185, allowing the members to enough time to read the book at their own pace instead of being another school assignment. Students, aside from professing their love for Swanson, are happy to be in the club just for the opportunity to read good books purely for fun.

“[There is] a chill, relaxed atmosphere, and I like to read books that are not for English class, but to socialize with friends,” junior co-president Lynn Vo said.

Junior co-president Andra Sabou agrees with Vo.

“I enjoy reading and discussing books that are not for a school assignment,” Sabou said.

So far this year, the club has read “The Time Traveler’s Wife” and “Shadow Land.” For the next meeting on Wednesday,  Dec. 19, the club will be discussing “Dash and Lily’s Books of Dares” in the South Lobby, where there will be food and a holiday atmosphere for the last Book Club meeting of 2012.