Girls Softball Senior Night vs Lane Tech

Breaking News: New Voting Law For Students

Niles West is taking part of this new law and allowing its students to register on Tuesday Feb. 4 from 11:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m.

Under the new “suffrage at 17” law in Illinois, 17-year-olds who will turn 18 on or before the November 4 general elections, can now register and vote in the March 18 primary elections.

“I think it’s a good thing because that way 17 year old will have a way to express their preferences in the primary which they’ll later give in the general,” activities directer Charles Pratt said.

Senior Priya Patel believes the new law is a good idea.

“It’s a good idea because honestly going from 17 to 18 isn’t a big difference like I don’t know or change all my values in just one year,” she said. “I could vote when I’m 18 but it wouldn’t be a different choice then when I’m 17. But if it’s from 18 to say 21, I would see that maybe my opinions and values might change because it’s a big age gap and I would be attending college and mixing with others.”

Senior Muhammad Singadi agrees with Patel.

“I think it will give us a chance to voice the opinion of many age groups,” he said. “I will register.”

All applicants must be a U.S. Citizen and turn 18 by Nov. 4, 2014. They need to provide an Illinois driver’s license or state ID number (if they have one). If not, they must provide the last four numbers of their Social Security number.