Girls Softball Senior Night vs Lane Tech

Jessica Daczo: President of DECA

Jessica Daczo: President of DECA

Many Niles West students are familiar with DECAlicious served every Monday outside the cafeteria. What a lot of students might not be aware of, however,  is the girl behind the ice cream and DECA cow: Senior and President of DECA Jessica Daczo.

As a freshman, Daczo was intrigued by DECA, which became the spark to her interest in business today.  She said,

“DECA is the only reason I’ve become interested in business. I wouldn’t have even joined DECA if it weren’t for the free bagels at the first meeting freshman year! I had no idea what I wanted to do, and around junior year I realized that I really enjoyed business- mostly because of my involvement as CEO of DECAlicious,” she said.

Even with DECA, she is influenced by many role models in her life that help her throughout the way.

“My biggest influence are definitely my parents. They immigrated to America little over a year before I was born; they had to work so hard to get where they are today. They constantly motivate me to do my best, and they have taught me that there is no excuse for not putting in the greatest possible effort for everything I do. Another one of my biggest influences would be my business teacher, Mrs. Attig,” Daczo said. “I’ve had her as a teacher every year except sophomore year, and she saw potential in me freshman year, when I had no idea how to succeed in DECA. I always strive to make her proud.”
Being the President of DECA comes with  a lot of responsibility and leadership towards her partners and the future business women and men of DECA.
“Being President is a little bit intimidating-it’s a lot of pressure to do well at competitions. My role play category is ‘Hotel and Lodging.’ I’ve been doing this category since last year, when I placed first overall at Regional competition and top ten in State. I’m also doing two written projects-International Business Plan and Entrepreneurship Promotion, and Entrepreneurship Promotion. The first project reflects what my major is going to be and what I hope to do career-wise. In this research paper, I, along with my two partners, describe the internationalization of a company we chose to Brazil. There’s a lot of research we have to do, but I know it’ll pay off at State. The second project is my written project with Reena Merchant, the other president of DECA.  She and I went to Old Orchard Junior High and taught a group of 80 sixth graders about entrepreneurship,” she said.
Even with the heavy load of being President, Daczo still makes time for other acts of leadership.
 “Other than being president of DECA, I’m a Hungarian scout leader. It’s similar to boy scouts, but we only speak Hungarian,” Daczo. “Every other week, I volunteer and teach a group of five 7-8 year old Hungarian scouts about Hungarian history, folk songs, geography, and other knowledge they wouldn’t necessarily have growing up in America.”
 Daczo isn’t only a leader to her peers at DECA, but also to the community and students of Niles West. She takes advantage of the tools and resources that DECA has to offer and gives back to others what she has learned through her experience. There’s much more in store for this DECA President, her drive for success in competition this year, and a bright future ahead is in store for this business woman.