Girls Softball Senior Night vs Lane Tech

West Conducts Canine Search on 4/20

West Conducts Canine Search on 4/20

In order to maintain and ensure a substance-free environment, Niles West teamed up with the Skokie Police Department (SPD), to conduct a canine search this morning, Wednesday, April, 20 — widely known as 4/20, a day to celebrate cannabis culture by smoking marijuana.

Hallways and classrooms were blocked off as Skokie police officer, Nick Larson, guided the K-9 named Jasko through each section of the school sniffing lockers for illegal substances.

Skokie Police Offcier, Nick Larson, guides canine down the wall of lockers. Photo by Emily Butera
Skokie police Officer, Nick Larson, guides canine down the wall of lockers. Photo by Emily Butera

“Everything went as planned,” assistant principal Mark Rigby said. “The school decided that it was time to do this, and it was absolutely not a coincidence [that it was on today’s date].”

Although the investigation ran as planned, it caused issues for some faculty members and students who were trying to get to certain areas of the school as the search was happening. Security guards were posted up by each entrance of the hallways keeping the area of the canine clear, and student and teachers were forced to keep out.

“I was forced to wait outside the doors that were blocking off the main staircase and testing center when I had to make up my Anatomy test during second period,” senior Ramail Nissan said. “I was eventually able to take it, but it was really annoying having to be deducted time from the test.”

As a small crowd gathered in the main hallway to see the K-9 being guided down the wall of lockers on the first floor, Niles West security strictly enforced the rules. One security guard told Nissan that he would be unable to get to the testing center because the school’s top priority was the search.

“I understand the rationale behind doing this; however, I don’t understand why, first of all, some of the security guards think it’s okay to be rude, and two, why anyone can say that this was more important than students’ education,” English teacher Sharon Swanson said. “I know that they are following directions; however, given their relationship to the school, I’d like to think they would at least acknowledge and respect the authority of the teachers who were trying to get to their classrooms to teach.”

Students and their parents were first notified of the search via email on Monday, April 18. According to the email, sent to students from Rigby, future canine searches will be unannounced. Parents have been supportive of the search, Rigby said.

Despite the email notification, many students said they were surprised that West put together the search.

“I feel like the search was unexpected to most of the student body considering we don’t really hear much word of drug use throughout the school. After relating it to today’s date, however, I wasn’t very surprised that it was held,” senior Anastasia Psihogios said.

Jasko the K-9 poses for a picture. Photo by Emily Butera

According to Rigby, all results of the search are confidential.

“We would never divulge the results of any search, be it by the dogs or in any other instance,” Rigby said.