The Crazy Greek: Crazy Good Food

The chicken pita, pita with toppings and greek fries.

By Luca Hatzopoulos, Managing and Social Media Editor

Nestled in a secluded spot in downtown Skokie, The Crazy Greek is a hidden gem you never knew you needed. Located at 5051 Oakton St., the fairly new greek food eatery has a lot to offer.

Since Cook County has now started to closed indoor dining at restaurants, take out, how I received my meal, is the only option for you when ordering. Although I cannot tell you about the atmosphere of indoor dining, I’ll tell you about my take-out experience.

The Crazy Greek opened up in the fall of 2019 and my family and I have been going there ever since. Since we are Greek, we decide to try out all the new Greek foodery opening up around us, and luckily, The Crazy Greek has stayed open long enough for us to return frequently. Their prices are definitely reasonable for high school students who aren’t looking to splurge on a meal. Not to mention, they also offer a wide variety of food items that exceed Greek descent such as impossible burgers, sandwich wraps, vegetarian options, and much more. This place can accommodate anyone’s food cravings.

My mom and I both ordered chicken souvlaki in pita, my dad ordered pork souvlaki in pita, and my brother got the chicken shawarma, and obviously, we included all the fixins, especially the traditional tzatziki. Of course, we couldn’t forget an order of fries, which is personally my favorite thing on the menu. Although they’re just french fries, they taste so good, better than any fast food restaurant fries in my opinion. Another one of my favorites is their avgolemono soup, a traditional egg-lemon Greek soup that sounds worse than it actually tastes, is another great choice on the menu, especially as we near towards winter and colder weather.

I do wish the menu did include a saganaki option, which is the cheese they set on fire right in front of you at most sit-in Greek restaurants. Saganaki is my favorite Greek food so I was obviously disappointed to hear they didn’t offer it on their menu when they offer non-traditional Greek foods on it instead.

Although this restaurant might not be as popular as the well known Psistaria, located in Lincolnwood, their Greek food is extremely appetizing and something I find myself often craving. Without a doubt, I recommend this place to high schoolers, families, and anyone else in between. I would rate this place a nine out of ten!