The Future is Bright for the Future in STEM Club

Students+actively+listening+to+the+first+guest+speaker+at+the+club.+
Students actively listening to the first guest speaker at the club.

Interested in going into the science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) field? Well, Niles West now offers a Future in STEM club for those planning on pursuing a career in one of the following fields.

Juniors Suraiya Sattar and Saniya Khan brought this club to life along with the help of science teacher Stephen Mikels who is also the sponsor of the club. This club will allow students to explore potential career options by meeting professionals in the field, volunteering at certain places and attending other events.

“The specific activities and goal of Futures in STEM club is to provide opportunities for members to explore STEM careers, work on projects, engage in volunteering, visit labs and listen to guest speakers. The main aim is to foster a love for STEM subjects, encourage exploration of STEM careers and help members develop relevant skills and knowledge for their future endeavors,” Sattar said.

Sattar and Khan began this club for various reasons, one of them being their own passion in the STEM field.

Ultimately, starting a club varies from one person to another, but we were driven by a combination of personal passion, a desire to make a positive impact and the recognition of a need within the community or school for this club. We started Future in STEM club to give students the opportunity to figure out what sort of careers they’re interested in and how to get them there. We plan to create a personalized path for the students to get them where they need to be,” Khan said.  

Students will be able to create new networks through this club which can be helpful in the future.

“Through this club, we plan to inspire a passion for STEM, help members explore STEM careers, develop practical STEM skills, enhance understanding through hands-on projects, foster networking and mentorship, offer exposure to STEM facilities and build confidence and personal growth. The club empowers members to pursue STEM interests and careers while fostering personal development and community engagement,” Sattar said. 

Club sponsor Mikels hopes that the club will allow students to see the endless options within the STEM field, some of which they might have been unaware of.

“The club would inspire students to possibly seek other opportunities that exist within the field of STEM. Most students don’t even know what opportunities exist just because they are unfamiliar with the number of jobs available or the number of careers out there,” Mikels said.

The club is currently in a trial phase, however, their goal is to expand and become a real club in the upcoming years.

“Our primary objective is to successfully transition from the trial club phase to a more established presence within the student body, enabling us to have a more significant and lasting impact,” Khan said. 

As the sponsor, Mikels aim is to prepare students and grow their skills which can help them later on in life.

“My goal is that those who I teach are more skilled than me, so generally speaking the goal of STEM education is that the next generation is more equipped with using evidence and data to support their decision making,” Mikels said.

The club is open for anyone to join however, students with an interest in the STEM field will find it much more beneficial.

“Membership in the Future in STEM club is open to all, but it is particularly welcoming to those with an interest in STEM. Our projects are designed to be engaging and enjoyable for everyone. We hold our meetings every Monday at 3:30 in room 3405. To stay updated on our activities and receive notifications about cancellations, please join our Remind group with the class code: @fistem1. Your participation is encouraged, and we look forward to having you with us,” Sattar said.