Girls Volleyball Season Comes to an End

Submitted by @nwgirlsvolleyball

The Niles West girls varsity volleyball team showcased their skills and determination as they advanced to the Regional Finals against Maine South last week. While the Wolves put up a fight against the Hawks, in the end, Maine South ended up winning the match in the first two sets.

While this marks the end of their season, the girls have accomplished many other things this season. They beat rivals Niles North twice, and they even finished first in a new conference with ten wins and zero losses.

“Maine South was just turned on defensively. We could not get our momentum back from them. But in all, we were faced with a challenging team and put up a good fight,” Dervisevic said.

While the girls did not end up winning a Regional Title this year, they used it as motivation and a goal for next year. Since the seniors will be graduating, the juniors are already working towards improving for their next season.

“I plan to push myself and the girls harder next year. I want every practice to be our best and hardworking. I want to make sure all the girls know that it does not matter who is on the other side, I do not want us to be scared of anyone,” junior captain Maia Clair said.

This was a very memorable season for the girls and especially the seniors since it was the last volleyball season of their high school career.

“The connection between us girls this season has been, by far, the strongest it has in years. It hurts to think about this being my last year because of the very memorable experience I have had with amazing teammates and coaches. I wish I could have at least one more season, but all good things come to an end and I still have a lot to look back on with what my team and I have accomplished,” Dervisevic said.

They played their first round of Regionals against Evanston Township, where they won in two sets, with the scores being 25-15 and 25-8. The girls dominated and put in a lot of focus and hard work during practice in order to win that first round.

“The girls have been working very hard in practice, and how you practice will carry over into the games.  They now have the endurance to finish games,” head coach Stacy Roth said.

Overall the girls volleyball team held a great season, and are ready to come back stronger next year.