Get Ready for Winter Fun With These Activities

Winter: you either love it or hate it. Some people love the snow and calmness of the weather, and others can’t wait for summer to come around. Even so, everybody likes engaging in fun activities. If you’re bored and don’t know what to do for winter, here are some suggestions. 

1. Go Skiing

Skiing is a staple of the wintry season. Thousands of people rush to the slopes the second the weather gets cold enough for skiing. Maybe you haven’t skied before? Don’t worry, the slopes around here aren’t too difficult, and many of them offer classes for beginners. For me, winter isn’t complete until I feel the wind quickly rushing past my face while I ski down the slopes.

2. Go To the Christkindlmarket

If you happen to be unfamiliar with the market, the Christkindlmarket is a market held at the Daley Plaza every year in Chicago. The market is filled with an abundance of little shops-some for food and some for unique souvenirs. The Christkindlmarket is a great place to buy handmade Christmas gifts for loved ones. Although gifts are cool, my best suggestion from the market is to get the hot chocolate that they sell in ceramic, shoe-shaped mugs. There’s nothing better than feeling a warm mug of hot chocolate on my fingertips that feels like they are about to freeze off. 

3. Go Ice Skating

Just like skiing, ice skating is another staple of winter. Feeling your skates glide through the ice at high speeds is something I look forward to every winter, even though I occasionally smack into the glass barriers. From my experience, skating is easier than skiing, and it takes much less time to figure out how to stay balanced. If you want to get the thrill of a winter sport, but don’t want to go on a long drive, and spend lots of money, ice skating is the thing for you. 

4. Watch Holiday Movies

Maybe you’re bored, or maybe you don’t want to go and spend money to have wintery fun. You can’t go wrong with holiday movies. Winter isn’t winter without cheesy romantic comedies that take place during Christmas time. I’m not much of a rom-com guy, but holiday movies are the only time I find these movies acceptable. 

5. Build a Snowman

Yes, I know you’re not a child, but sometimes building a snowman is just flat-out fun! It’s not winter until it snows, and what better way to celebrate the snow than making a snowman? You can make it shaped however you want, big, small, round, or even a square. The beauty of making snowmen is that you get to create your own masterpiece. Feel free to make them with a corncob pipe and a button nose, but most importantly, don’t forget a jolly happy soul.

No matter what you choose to do with your time during this winter, make sure to have fun, and not let the cold weather deter you from going outside.