Tree Loss at Niles West High School

Tree Loss at Niles West High School

Seven trees around Niles West were removed during the week of Thanksgiving break. This was as a result of two  dead crab apple trees on the south side of the building by door 13, as well as a general cleanup. The Buildings and Grounds department decided to take action to prevent falling limbs and the spread of disease. 

“We removed the three pine trees which were next to the building. A couple of reasons were that they were encroaching onto the roof, they were very close to the building, and there were lots of loose limbs on all three trees, which made it unsafe,” facilities manager Marcus Holleran said. “A tree limb that fell in Evanston this year injured four people, [so this] made Niles West want to make sure that it wouldn’t happen [here].”

Solar panels have been added to the District 219 buildings. The installation of the panels is ongoing but unrelated to the tree removal, according to Holleran.

A handful of teachers are worried about the trees being cut down because it brings more life to West. Especially during spring when the bare trees have color again, brightening students’ and teachers’ moods.

“I’m devastated. It always makes me sad when trees are cut down. I just think trees are beautiful and important, and it is a big loss,” English teacher Rachel Gross said.

“It is disappointing because I enjoy looking at the crabapple [tree] for sure [because] it makes all those pretty flowers in the spring, so that’s nice. [Although,] it is just a part of the reality of having trees in an urban setting, they’re under a lot of stress from their environments,” biology teacher Thomas Jodelka said.

However, some community members support removal of less desirable or more populous trees on campus.

“We as teachers would love if the walnut trees were to be cut down since there are a lot of them,” AP environmental science teacher Susan Schram said.

Workers from Nels J. Johnson Tree Experts will remain on campus until the removal is complete.

There were three pine trees and two crab apple trees that were dead, one alder tree that was dead and now a dead memorial tree. This dead memorial tree, however, will be replanted in the spring. Other plantings are also planned.