Vaughn Holleran: The State Singer

Fiona Payne
Vaughn Holleran, senior, sings “Dream a Little Dream,” by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong with accompaniment from Justin De La Cruz to conclude the first act of Niles West’s Coffeehouse Cabaret on Nov. 17.

Making the Illinois Music Education Association (ILMEA) all-state chorus is a hard and nerve-racking feat in itself, but that’s nothing new to senior Vaughn Holleran.

“It felt like a really big accomplishment because [the] ILMEA is an important thing for all choir band and orchestra, so making it and knowing I’m going to be able to sing with the best from around the state is very honoring,” Holleran said.

This being her senior season, there are big goals for Holleran as her singing career progresses and presents a promising future. She has many different traits that make her successful. Her drive and motivation don’t go unnoticed.

“Vaughn’s selection into the state level I think can be attested to her initial audition. I set a deadline for all the students to turn in their audition videos to me, and Vaughn submitted her audition early to me and asked for feedback. I gave her honest feedback, critiques on what I thought she could do better, and suggestions for her if she chose to make a new video audition. She took all of my feedback into account and she redid her audition video; I think that speaks volume. Taking critique isn’t easy, but it is necessary for growth, especially in the field of musical performance,” Director of Choir Justin De La Cruz said.

Holleran’s ability to take criticism and create something amazing out of it shows her dedication and is also very impressive for being so young. Most people take criticism as a bitter thing, but Holleran uses it as one of her strengths.

While ILMEA is a high honor, Holleran is used to performing at big events. She has sung the national anthem at the Windy City Bulls game and is part of the Chicago Bulls G-league affiliate team.

Holleran is not only an outstanding singer in choir but is also a natural leader for the team that many people on the team look up to. She wants to help people get better and isn’t just focused on herself.

“Anytime a decision needs to be made, many of our eyes go straight to [Vaughn] for guidance,” senior CJ Soriano said.

We wish Vaughn nothing but the best at state. Come to show her support from Jan. 24th to Jan. 27th in Peoria, Illinois at the Peoria Civic Center to watch her perform!