Opinion: Students Should be Able to Miss Classes with No Final Exams

It’s finals week! As finals begin, many students are just excited for their grades to get finalized and for winter break to start. During this week, students are required to go to their classes, even if they do not have a final in that specific class. Many students around the school have been complaining about this, and I understand why.

Students barely want to go to their actual classes where they are taking final tests, adding a random period where they do nothing just makes it worse. Think about it. If someone has a lunch, study hall and a class where they already took a final on before the designated exam day, there is no point for them to even come to school for finals on that day. There is no work for them to do. If I finish all my work before the final day, and I have no other work to do, it does not make sense to have to go to my class on the final day. To be honest, most teachers just put on a movie if there is no final in that class. Let’s be for real, I could watch a movie at home.

That day can be enjoyed at home sleeping, reading or it can be used to prepare for other finals without the distraction of other kids at school. Instead of watching a movie in a class, students can use that time at home to study. While there is an option to get called out for finals, some parents don’t want to call out their kids, or teachers make it mandatory to come.

Finals week is already pretty stressful as it is. Going to classes where I just sit and do not do any work just makes it worse. Also, not going to school on even one day of the week gives kids a break from all the other work they have been doing for their other classes. Mandatory attendance for classes without finals just adds to the already high level of stress students experience during finals week.

Honestly, it is just more fun and less stressful to stay home, and I think that if a student does not have an exam during a final period, it should not be a requirement to go to that specific class. Students should have the option to get called out for any classes they do not have finals in.