Niles West Dives Into Pool Renovation

Fiona Payne

Construction on a controversial Niles West pool renovation began Jan. 2, closing the pool deck, pool entrances and pool locker rooms. There have been multiple calls for compromises with the board to better suit the athletes and their needs. However, the renovation still includes new plumbing and paving to the pool deck, in an effort to restore its state rather than adding on to the existing pool or creating a new pool to better fit the aquatic sports.

The board voted to proceed with the plan, and Athletic Director Dr. Dana Krilich clarified the improvements that will be made to the space.

“The renovation is going to refresh the space of the pool, we’re getting the newest tech for our meets, such as a new scoreboard, new record boards, and new tiles. We are also making sure we are meeting all the code requirements that they found in the health and safety test. We are installing a new ceiling, an updated seating area, new storage areas. We are getting new starting blocks, which a lot of other schools have and an ADA entrance to the pool deck. There will be lots of improvements to the structure and design of the room, just not more lanes or a deep end on the shallow end,” Krilich said.

There is no set date for the completion of the renovation, but an email from Krilich anticipates that it will be done by the beginning of the next school year.

The swim and water-polo teams are adjusting practices as a result, since the construction renovation plan. Because the renovation also takes place during boys’ swim and water-polo season, athletes have to travel the Niles North for practice instead of using our schools pool.

“Currently, because of the renovation, we have to travel to Niles North after school for practice. The boys have to get on the bus and travel to Niles North, and practice starts around 4. From there they have to get their own rides back, it’s not been the best but it’s okay. We have to bring our own equipment to the pool and we also have to work with Niles North because they have practice at the same time as us so we have to share a pool,” boy’s swim coach Paul Torres said

Over the past couple of months, there have been many conflicting opinions about this renovation plan between athletes and parents, but according to sophomore Elyse Tregoning, athletes voiced their opinions at various board meetings and in discussions with board and faculty members.

“I’m happy with the resolution we came to, the board was very receptive to our ideas and opinions. The board obviously still had to go ahead with the original plan. But now in the future there is the chance of getting a new pool, but I don’t think that will happen in the time that I’m here. I think that the board was very receptive to there being a new addition to the pool in the future to better fit the needs of our athletes and also the ability to host conferences and sectionals, but I’m overall happy with the solution we came to,” Tregoning said.