The Wolfettes End Their Season with a Last Dance at Sectionals

The+Niles+West+Dance+Team+poses+for+a+photo+at+IHSA+sectionals.+
The Niles West Dance Team poses for a photo at IHSA sectionals.

The Niles West varsity dance team competed at IHSA sectionals this past weekend in Joliet. This was their last competition of the season as the Wolfettes were unable to qualify for state.

The group competed in the 3A class at Joliet West, against Stevenson, Loyola Academy and New Trier. Out of the 15 teams, the Wolves placed 10th, with a score of 77.22.

The 11-member squad performed a routine to “Top Off” and “Yoncé” (Homecoming Live) by Beyoncé. The girls went into the competition with an optimistic and positive mindset, according to the coach.

“I just wanted us to do our best and not care too much about scores. Sectionals is hard and we were in a difficult sectional to compete in. I thought It would be best if we focused solely on ourselves. We worked really hard this season but always have room for improvement,” head coach Diana Corral said.

Despite the defeat, the Wolfettes recognize their constant development in refining the expression of emotion and artistry through dance.

“This season has been difficult but I think it got better as it went on because of the feedback we were able to get from the judges, our coaches, and the spectators as well. Each performance was better than the last one, which shows our hard work paid off. After everything I was proud of our team because we went out there and danced as best as we possibly could,” sophomore Seelena Matthew said.

Although their efforts may not have paid off in the way they anticipated, the team is looking forward to next season with motivation fueling their determination to achieve success on the dance floor in future.

“Even though we were unable to qualify for state and were obviously saddened, this opportunity is a helpful reset for next season. We have our goals and motivation set and ready for fall,” Corral said.

Long hours spent in the dance studio led to bonds of sisterhood and the formation of new friendships.

“I am very excited to do this again next year and hopefully football season as well. I felt like the team really welcomed me into their friend group. I think this season was pretty fast-paced, and we spent a lot of time practicing and working on our dances, but ultimately that made each moment count a little bit more,” sophomore Victoria HooSang said.

Congratulations to the Niles West Dance Team for competing at sectionals!