New Gospel Choir Club

While the members of the new club engage themselves into the warm-ups that are accompanied by director Amy Brahnal, the president of the Gospel Choir, senior Toni Poyser takes attendance and makes sure that the members are consistent, for this club takes things seriously. As they move on to their carefully-selected pieces like I Smile by Kirk Franklin, they radiate the most positive energy anyone could feel in such a small room, enjoying every second of singing about their love for Jesus Christ.

“”We started Gospel Choir, because we wanted to have a genre of music with which we could express our love for Jesus Christ,” says vice president and junior Lisa Peter.

Sophomore Victoria Ogunro joined the club for similar reasons.

“I’m a Christian and I love Jesus Christ and I love to sing about him,” says Ogurno.

On the other hand, there are those with different beliefs, but love the Gospel genre of music. Gospel Choir is not entirely based on the Christian religion, but the dynamic genre, which many adore to sing.

“Don’t worry about religion because we’re not working on just hymns, but also on more modern urban and contemporary pieces,” says Ogunro.

Poyser agrees that singing Gospel music isn’t purely because of their religious beliefs, but for the love of the music as well.

“I love to sing Gospel because it’s energetic music and a genre I love to sing,” says Poyser.

Brahnal agrees.

“Gospel taps into a genre of music that we don’t cover in the choir curriculum, and it’s a really fun genre,” says Brahnal.

The club requires consistent attendence, though, given their plans to tour and perform in the next Choir Holiday Concert, just like any other choir group. They are also treated like any other choir group. The members are divided into their voice section and are taught their part. The finished result is incredible.

Everyone is invited to join, especially because there are no auditions or requirements.

“Please join. It’s really fun. You get to meet a lot of new people and you get to share your faith,” says Ogunro.

Poyser agrees.

“You should join because it’s a different style of music, and it’s good to try new things,” says Poyser.

Gospel Choir meets every Wednesday at 4 p.m. and on Fridays at 3:30 p.m.

Their first performance will be at the Choir Holiday Concert.