The Library Introduces New Student Library Advisory Committee

The upcoming SLAC meeting schedule till the end of the year.

As a result of new ideas being brought up in the library, the Student Library Advisory Committee (SLAC) SLAC (Student Library Advisory Committee) was created. Librarian Victoria Pietrus heads the group, which is student-based but open to teachers and staff as well. SLAC’s first meeting was in December of 2023, and they currently meet every month on Wednesday before late arrival.

“I started SLAC because I did it at a past school library, which was successful. What led me to start SLAC was I wanted more student input on our program, to ensure we are meeting students’ social, emotional and academic needs,” Pietrus said.

Many students are very fond of SLAC and are happy they joined it. Many students are already coming up with new ideas for future meetings.

“I always go to the library when it’s my lunch period or study hall–to be honest the cafeteria is kinda noisy, which is why I like the library more. In SLAC, I planned on achieving to do some fun activities. I also have some ideas in mind and I’ll share them with Ms Pietrus in the next SLAC meeting. Everything in the library is going well. I liked the hair care and the makeup day, it was amazing and I had a lot of fun,” junior Mahnoor Zeeshan said.

Repeat members are encouraged to keep coming to SLAC meetings so their visions, especially long-term ones, like their ideas for crafts, books, programs and displays can be ongoing. Students have expressed how their opinions have shown throughout the meetings.

“I’m lucky to have 9th period as a study hall, which allowed me to join SLAC! Ms. Pietrus and I had some engaging conversations, and she asked for my input on some signage. I love libraries, and I was so happy to be invited to be the president. I think I’ll learn better ways to collaborate with others. SLAC isn’t super well known but I think once more people are aware of it, we’ll have an even better effect,” junior Amelia Gottschalk said.

SLAC is also open to collaborating with other clubs around the school.

“We already have pretty good, well excellent, student workers, that do labor in the library but I would love to have more outreach with other parts of the school. So, if French club wanted to do a display [in the library], or a STEM club wanted to collaborate on a program, I hope they can come to this meeting or reach out to me to join and we can collaborate,” Pietrus said.

Pietrus sees the library as a key space for building relationships with students.

“I enjoy getting to know the students, many of whom I see a lot in the library and who are passionate about the library being an inclusive and fun place. So I am really glad to get to hear from them and their voice,” Pietrus said.

The library’s Instagram (@nileswestlibrary) promotes all the featured dates for the remainder of the semester where students and staff are allowed to come into the library and share their ideas.

“Libraries are a crucial part of any community, but especially a school community. I hope to spread the word that the IRC is a space for students. All of the library staff are committed to making a great space for students, and they love to hear our input,” Gottschalk said.