Fall In Love With These Valentine’s Day Activities

Getty Images

With Valentine’s Day approaching, couples and friends are searching for ways to celebrate the day of love. A fancy dinner, a movie night or surprising your partner with a bouquet of roses and chocolates are a few classics. Nowadays, that doesn’t seem like enough. Looking for a few new ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day? Look no further.

1. Visit Adler Planetarium 

497 Adler Planetarium Images, Stock Photos, 3D objects, & Vectors | Shutterstock

With a cold winter and living near the city, it’s hard to stargaze with your loved ones. Adler Planetarium offers free admission on Wednesdays for Illinois residents with proof of residency. Worried about making it in on time after school? No problem, Adler is open until 10pm. You can turn your visit to Adler into a wonderful night in the city, by touring around downtown and visiting a new restaurant for dinner. Since Valentine’s Day falls on a Wednesday this year, this makes for the perfect date night.

2. Share a heart-shaped pizza or tray

Delicious Takeout Ideas for Valentine's Day

Who doesn’t enjoy eating their heart out? Enjoy a limited-time offer heart-shaped pizza from places like Lou Malnati’s or a heart-shaped tray of chicken nuggets from Chick-Fil-A. You can also make your own spin on it and cook something heart-shaped at home. With patience, pizza dough, sauce and your favorite toppings, you can enjoy baking a home-cooked pizza with a significant other or friends. Not only can you indulge in great food, but it also provides a fun memory with your loved ones.

3. Ice Skating in Maggie Daley Park

Maggie Daley Park Ice Skating Ribbon In Downtown Chicago Il Usa Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock

Enjoy winter while it lasts! The ice skating ribbon is open until March, giving you plenty of time to go visit. Whether you’re a pro-skater or have never put on a pair of ice skates in your life, this winter activity is a great bonding experience with a significant other or your best friends. Sessions range from 11am-1pm, 2pm-4pm, 5pm-7pm and 8pm-10pm. For $16 a person with a reservation, you can enjoy two hours of ice skating along the ribbon and receive a pair of rental skates.

4. Game Night

3,400+ Teenagers Playing Board Game Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

Almost every game requires a minimum of two players, meaning you can enjoy a round with just a partner or a big group of friends. Games like “Monopoly,” “Cards Against Humanity,” and “Battleship,” provide friendly competition and are sure to make you laugh. If you’re playing with your significant other, you can buy a game specific to couples, like “The Couples Game.”

5. Build a Bouquet

Florists Bouquets Stock Photos and Images - 123RF

Flowers are a Valetine’s Day classic. Make a trip to your local Whole Foods, buy your loved ones favorite flowers and the florists at Whole Foods will put together a free custom bouquet for you. Whether they love red roses or daffodils, you’ll be sure to find the perfect floral creation for your significant other. Turn this into a fun trip with your friends, and create surprise bouquets for each other.

A romantic dinner and chocolates now seem cliche and outdated. While still a fun date idea, you are sure to create unforgettable memories with these new ideas.