Opinion: What Should The Bulls Do At The 2023 Trade Deadline

It is no surprise that the Chicago Bulls are once again an average team, not good enough for the playoffs. However, because of this, they will get a decent draft pick. The Bulls had a great 2021 season that started amazingly, but Lonzo Ball, the team’s leader, faced a key injury. This affected the team because Ball is the person who brings the team together on the court. I think the Bulls are trying to build off of their 2021 season.

The Bulls claim to be a team that is buying at the trade deadline, but I think should do the opposite — sell. They have a core that is just getting older and getting worse. The Bulls can not really make a big splash at the deadline because they don’t have a good young core. They have some okay young players who could get them something, but nothing huge in return.

This season for the Bulls has been way less than a disappointment with Zach Lavine not only being injured but also shooting the ball at a terrible percentage. When Lavine was on the court he was looking like he was making the team look worse. If he did not get hurt I would have wanted the Bulls to trade him. The Bulls have overpaid Lavine with his massive contract that is destroying the teams cap space (how much money your team can spend on your whole roster). When Lavine missed some games earlier in the season the team looked way better team, they were winning, which gave the fanbase some hope. The team looks like they work better as a team when Lavine is not on the floor playing with them. Honestly, my wish is for Levine to just get traded because he isn’t an asset to the team, even though he is hurt which makes him not tradeable.

I think the Bulls should trade their center Nikola Vucevic, who they traded for at the 2021 trade deadline. I think that the Bulls gave up too much for Vucevic for someone who only really provides offense and rebounding. He is also an undersized center as well. During the Bulls playoff series against the Bucks in 2021, Vucevic was doing good until Giannas destroyed him. We also gave up two first-round picks for him which was way too much to give up. If the Bulls can get an okay player and a pick or two for Vucevic I would be more than happy with that.